Throwing all that skimmer waste into the fuge

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by sikpupy, Jul 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm more confused than ever :confused:

Here's how Tangster and I recommend setting up a tank/refugium/sump:

Water from tank goes directly to refugium
    Water from refugium goes directly into sump where it will be skimmed and run through carbon/phosphate media
    Water from sump goes back to main tank

I don't see anything in Tangster's post where he said that we don't run sump water back into the main tank.

2. Click Here!

3. ShrimpSkin

ShrimpSkin Bristle Worm

Putting the waste from the skimmer in the fuge is putting it back into the system. Although slower the water will still flow through the fuge, through the waste and since it isn't being broken down probably to some extent back into your tank or re-skimmed by your skimmer. I have mine set up just like described in amcarrig's post and I test 0 nitrates all the time.

4. sikpupy

sikpupy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Sorry about that, but, water that comes from the fuge is NOT 100% clean. Unless I am missing something, which may be the case, all the water that goes into the skimmer container is not 100% clean. So, the water flowing from either or will still have nastys going back into the tank to hopefully get caught the 2nd or 3rd time around by the skimmer. Again, if 90% the dumped poo from the skimmer would stay in the fuge, then maybe, but, it has been pointed out that that would not work.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I agree but the refugium water goes into the sump where the skimmer is. Water from the skimmer is then filtered through floss and carbon. Water in the sump is also run through a phosphate reactor. All of this happens before the water is returned to the main tank as I indicated in my last post.

1 person likes this.
  6. sikpupy

I will quickly say that one can mix and match how ever they like, but, now you mention it and I am back at my desk relaxing, a few peices to the puzzle are starting to fall into place. I was so concerned with skimmer poo and a refugium that I never thought how a skimmer really works all the way around. I have seen basic layouts of fuges, but, never with the pipeing. I think I just got an extra twist in my layout plans before building, but thats good, lol.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

A refugium is the single most simple concept that has ever came along for the hobby , Its simple a box a water tight one is better and you simple slowly flow water from the tank through it this water enter at one end near to the bottom then it simple trickles up and through the plants and along and over the DSB or DMB then the water simply exits to the sump up near the top of the refugium box, You want a deep substrate to create a totally anaerobic area then you add plants and lights and let it go to do its job .

If its done properly it will be a nasty looking swampy area and nothing to see or look at. Every few weeks remove the floating algae mat and toss it out to export the nutrients that the plants have up taken as food .

for what its worth I would make the fuge as close in its water volume to be about 1/10th the size of the main tanks water volume 100 gal tank a 10 gal fuge then trickle about 10 GPH through the fuge . And I'd suggest not to pour the skimmate from the skimmer back into the system or the fuge . It will pull the ORP down to less then a 100 in a heart beat. and like tossing down to much fertilizer on any plants it would burn and kill the alga's . Not to mention the problems it would cause the systems animals. A refugium is simple a natural and passive reactor or filtration methoed .

It takes far less time to set a fuge up then it took me to say this . :)

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Sikpupy, why not broaden your knowledge on refugiums, their design and purpose, and their limitiations.

Your responses suggest you haven't quite yet grasped certain fundamental facts regarding refugiums and protein skimmers. There's no shame in that, but you'll find it's helpful to buff up on topics before trying to dissect them. Being prepared for events makes it that much less frustrating for others.

I hope you won'tt take offense as I'm not flaming you here, but it seems that every time a 3Reefer offers you sound advice, your response is further off the mark than your previous one. Let's move forward!!! :)

Questioning things is natural and a sign of intelligence. Asking questions is the best way to learn. As WasteManagement said, it's all in how we learn. You take information and process it. From your responses, it doesn't seem like you are processing what's been said.

I think Bob Dylan said it best in "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall," when he wrote, ". . And I know my song well. . before I start singing. . . "

Good luck!! ;D;);D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  10. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

Off topic but , [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  11. sikpupy

I look at things 50/50, from both sides. Just because someone says do not do it means I wil and should not do it. It also does not mean I have ignored the advice also. Belive me when I say I have headed all the advice given here.

If someone was to say to me "stay 12inches away from the fire or it will burn", and, I have never seen fire before, I will grab a stick, poke at it, try to get as close as I can, all the time remembering it burns so I do not just jump into it. I either learn I can get 11.75 inches from the fire, which acomplishes no great feat, or, the advise of 12" was 100% correct. I like to challenge things a little, not to be hard headed, or, lack of attention, but a bit for the experience and knowledge.

1 person likes this.
  12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

^ [​IMG]

But as we say where I work, "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions" - Rhiele

2 people like this.