Throwing all that skimmer waste into the fuge

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by sikpupy, Jul 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sikpupy

sikpupy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That statement in itself would make me move on, lol.

Again though, my idea of throwing it in a fuge would be to decompose it. technically, its not going back into the tank, its going into the fuge, so, for those saying I am putting it back in the tank, no, I was hoping I was not. I was thinking and hoping that the poo being in the fuge, it would have its own little place. Now, wether the fuge could handle it and hold it there until it decomposed before it got recycled, I do not and would not, being I never had a tank before, know, thats why I am asking first.

Now, to be a little disgusting... There is some place, I forget which, that collects urine from those portapottys. Then it is used in the medical field, for something, I forget what. I read that the elements they get are something they cant really make. Yes, fish are different than humans, but, if we were throwing something away that could be really benificial, I was curious to find a way to keep it. If however, like reefsparky says, there is nothing good there, I want that (pun intended) crap outta there!!

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

ain't that the truth.

4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

UMmm Question ??? How do we "not" filter refugium water ?.

Correct me If im missunderstanding a statment here , But the fuge is part of the whole tank / sump / fuge ( complete sytem shares the same water )
    So how are we "not supposed to filter fuge water" ?

And pouring that filth back into a system that collected in the skimmer is totaly crazy , and totaly agree on that one.

5. ReefSparky

I think Tangster is simply saying that the water going into the refugium should not pass through the sump/skimmer/reaction chamber/whatever other filtration methods one might have in place before draining into the refugium.

In other words, water entering the refugium should be directly from the tank, i.e. as "dirty" as possible.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Precisely. Congrats on being able to think outside the box. You don't see that happening much anymore. :)

7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I think the concept he uses when setting up the fuge is to supply it with water from the tank, but that the FLOW is SLOW enough through it so that a good deal of the suspended waste settles out into the bed of the fuge and the excess nutrients feed plants in the fuge. He does not skim tank water between the tank and the fuge, so that those nutrients aren't skimmed out before reaching the fuge. That's how you're not supposed to filter the fuge supply water, if I explained correctly. The skimmer still does the majority of the work, that's why he says get the best skimmer you can afford.

Haha, never claimed to be quick at typing ^^^

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

gotta be the ocean's huge ;) :hehe:

but really that is disgusting. I wonder if that guy was swept up in it and he was walking out of it or he was really the idiot he looks like and just walked into it? :confused::sick2::loco::sick:

10. sikpupy

sikpupy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Didnt I just say trying to keep it in the fuge and not running through the system? :furious3:

Oh, and like taking cow/horse sht from a barn and spreading it back out on the field from the hay that was made for them to eat is TOTALLY outragious and preposterous!!!!! :snobby:

Oh well........

Being austrailia, I bet that was a bushman that probably got paid $5 to do that.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol:

12. ReefSparky

But putting is in the fuge IS running it through the system, sikpupy!