Throwing all that skimmer waste into the fuge

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by sikpupy, Jul 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ShrimpSkin

ShrimpSkin Bristle Worm

"but i may be wrong about the skimmate why dont you drink a little and see how you feel lol."

;D ;D ;D

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

5. sikpupy

sikpupy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Oooooh h h h h ooooooo, easy there skipper, we dont have to go, ahem, overboard with it! I sure dont want to be the tester for that theory, lol.

Yes, i am sure we have looked into a lot of different things and spent/spend a lot of money on water quality. We have a fuge to take care of 20% volume of flow, and, since you have to use slow flow, of course you cant circulate, in my case, 1340GPH and have a fuge working properly. So... I thought that since you dump OUT skimmer poo, why not dump it into the fuge to decompose.

And like I said too, lots of food does go into the tank to feed the fish, so, something may have to be removed to keep a balance. Also thought maybe one could take all that extra and turn it into something good. Reefing is a wonderful fun loving science project. :p

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I agree with this statement and of Jason's. If your going to pour the waste from the skimmer back into the system, then why have a skimmer in the first place. Thats like going to the bathroom and eating what your body just through out. Sorry for the mental picture. Luna

2 people like this.
  7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You never ever heard me say anything like that, Hell I tell anyone who will listen to get the best skimmer you can get and get it Going asap. And then toss that waste out. I do say the plants in the fuge will lower the need for a skimmer but they can't do the whole job the skimmer can . You start tossing the waste back into the tank then you are doomed to huge problems .

NEVER EVER EVER EVER POUR THE SKIMMER'S COLLECTION CUP WASTE BACK INTO THE SYSTEM THE SINK OR TOILET IS THE ONLY PLACE I'D POUR IT OUT INTO .

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I guess that makes answer to this post pretty clear!

Have long thought skimmer waste should be great stuff for fertilizing plants...but issue of salt buildup over time probably makes it not a good idea.

Could try drinking it. Likely lots of good protein in it. :p - Many people in world drinking much worse. (Not to mention many health food whacko's...[​IMG] )

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The oceans have the abyssal plains and oceanic trenches for final decomposition. Many of these trenches are so deep that we can't even send a submarine that far down.

What Walter Adey proved with his failed Biosphere 2 (as well as the misguided advice with Karen Loveland in Dyamic Aqauria) is that our tanks don't even remotely operate as a full ecosystem.

Healthy reefs are oligotrophic (nutrient-limited) yet are the most productive ecosystems on the earth. They are even more productive than tropical rainforests. Those are obviously complete opposite of each other so how can that be. We, for one thing, nutrients are very tightly cycled with all of the fauna, flora, and bacteria. For another thing, they have the equivalent of a 100% waterchange all day long everyday. We cannot even come close to building a full ecosystem in our tanks and we cannot match the waterchanges that happen on a reef. A clean reef tank is a cesspool compared to a healthy reef.

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Comparing our Tanks to the worlds Oceans is comparing apples to oranges. Two totally different things. Ever notice the foam at the beach? What do you think that is? The beach is the oceans protein skimmer and it also works as wet/dry filter with the waves.

This pic shows the natural occurance in Australia...(I for sure wouldnt be playing in that)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

So what are you trying to say :)

LOL