This normal for nitrate

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Zoanthids21, May 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

In my 7-8 month old sps biocube,the nitrates arevalways at 0ppm,which.is good. Although,would they normaly.rise a couple points throughout two weeks? I feel dumb asking this since being in the hobby now almost 2 years

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Well two questions:

What kind of test kits are you using?

What is a "couple" of points? It goes up to 2-5ppm? or higher? A few ppm nitrate will not harm anything - but your test kits could be misleading you. . .

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I can only tell you what happens to me.

The day I feed they are under 10, the day after 15-20 and 3 days later down to 10 again.

This has been the pattern for over a year, I rarely test for it nitrates much anymore.

My numbers are probably higher because I do not run a skimmer, but I feed very little, once every 3 days with small water changes weekly.

I would say that if you are running 0 without addition of any of the following carbon/mb7/zeovite/bio-pellets than that is a very good thing, but I would expect to see the value rise and fall normally.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

That's not that uncommon. Low levels of Nitrates are quickly consumed by algae and bacteria. problems can occur if Algae gets out of control or if the algae collapses

Keeping the normal maintenance routines consistent will ensure these issues never happen

J

6. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

I have no skimmer, and i have a ton of Cheato algea in the back of the tank.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would suspect the Cheato is doing it's job well and keeping your nitrates at 0

J