This is starting to kick my A$$...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Lucky13dt, Sep 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Here are pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, this water change topic has been debated on this forum quite a bit. Some do and some don't.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

so your tanks FOWLR because i was gonna ask what you have to does to keep the corals healthy.

4. sssnake

5. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

sssnake, may I suggest getting something to cause more chaotic water flow on your water surface? You can visibly see a dusty looking film on it, and it doesn't seem like there is any turbulance at all near the top. Also- your argument about not doing water changes fails. Corraline algae is one of the top indicators as to how well your ph/calcium/alkalinity are being maintained. Judging from the corraline specks on your glass, or lack there of- i would estimate your tank has been up and running for a month, or a month for someone who maintains there levels properly. I think you would have a sad sad time trying to keep any actual coral in that tank. Fact is, Fish really don't care that much about pristine water chemistry- so to argue that water changes are not necessary on a marine reef forum is erroneous. (I dont mean to attack- but please be realistic- you are forced to do water changes, or constantly add costly supplements)

6. sssnake

@Phayes:

The pics above are several months old. Since then I have added a couple of Koralia 4's and yes, one is pointed at the top. As far as coralline is concerned here are more recent pics. Mind you, the pics were taken just before I scraped a load from wherever possible. So as you can see I have no problem with lack of coralline:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So if as you say "Coraline algae is one of the top indicators as to how well your ph/calcium/alkalinity are being maintained" ...... I ask you:

Have I passed the corraline test?

As far as water changes go, I don't do them. That's all! And there's a bunch of people in this forum who also don't.

If I said anything wrong my apologies to you.

Cheers then!

7. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

And hence, your new pictures show quite a bit of algae on your substrate, in which you previously stated you have no problems with despite never doing water changes.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't brag about never having to do a water change when your system is clearly not up to the par that you are making it out to be.

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

let the battle begin!

10. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

lol, I hate to argue. But, I don't get off on people stating that there tank is doing great without any water changes- and when called on it- produce images of an algae infested substrate, after saying that they dont have problems with algae despite no water changes. (sorry about the run-on sentence).

11. sssnake

No battle here.

No bragging here either.

Later dudes...