This is starting to kick my A$$...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Lucky13dt, Sep 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

IMO;)
    as long as you aren't adding anything that is contributing to the problem. using the slime removers is addressing the root of the problem. it destroys the cyano bacteria freeing all the nutrients into the water column and preventing them from being reabsorbed by alot bacteria. so by doing major water changes after using the product you are removing all those excess nutrients.

2. Click Here!

3. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

i have the same problem only on my sand but its more of a brown slime algae,i had gha and bryopsis on every thing at one point but, i added a fuge, and po4 reactor, and changed flow and feed only flake foods and cyclopeze. now my rocks sparkle and ,my glass is spotless but my sand still is covered in brown algae, bulbs were also replaced. and i am no way even close to being overstocked with fish.

if i keep vacuming this stuff up i will have no sand in about another month

so if you find a cure tell us,!!!

4. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

Red Slime removal - works every time, it won't have a chance to come back:

Get something to compete with it, chaeto is popular.

1. Make sure your nitrate to phosphate ratio is around 14:1 If you have an imbalance it is actually better to have more nitrates to bring the ration in line. I know that sounds crazy, but once you get it in line the chaeto will take off and rob the cyano of nutrients. Right now you don't have that and the phosphate loving cyano is beating out chaeto (or film or hair algae)

2. Increase flow- you are already on it.

3. Get stuff that eats it. Nerites and ceriths are the best at this. Blue Leg Hermits will also eat cyano. - Get enough of them for your tank.

4. Wait.

Foolproof plan, works every time. No need for chemicals.

5. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

Brown algae cure: get ceriths and nerites they eat it up. Get enough for your tank and it will be gone in a short amount of time. Very easy problem once you begin to fight it. In the mean time change your salt mix, it has too many bio-available silicates.

6. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

When you find out why cyano is present in the tank you would be "addressing" the source of the problem.

Using slime removers is merely a band-aid solution and chances are that the cyano will return eventually.

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

well i guess i got lucky because i havent had cyano in 3 years since i last used the remover.

edit: to make it more clear im not saying you don't need to examine your husbandry of tank which i think you are incorrectly infering. but most of the time cyano is from a period when you got lazy and slacked off on water changes. after you change your practices,with out mechanical removal such as siphoning cyano will still remain for a month or longer . this is when you use the slime remover thus freeing the the excess nutrients for easy export through large water changes

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

In my case my tank is almost two years old. I have not done a single water change. I have good flow, feed sparingly and only use ro/di water for top-offs.

I have never dealt with a cyano bacteria problem.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this issue then.

Cheers :)

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

do you have any pics, im always interested about peoples tanks that maintain there tanks with out water changes, even i will admit i only do them monthly

11. Lucky13dt

Lucky13dt Spaghetti Worm

I found a very large snail hald buried in the sand....DEAD

Could this have caused the outbreak?

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

could of added to it i doubt it was completely caused by this