This is a serious problem

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by speedmazoku, Oct 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Wow, a bit of a mess on your hands.

Make sure you have new bulbs on your tank, bulbs degrade over time.

Phosphates, dissolved organic compounds and nitrates will give rise to Cyano.

Many people use Well water successfully, you will need to test it for DOC’s, phosphates, Silicates and nitrates – given your current situation I do not think your well water is going to pass the tests. Even if it did, many wells parameters change after storms.

Pick up an RO/DI unit and use a quality reef salt mix.

I would suggest you use Rowa-Phos to get yourself cleaned up now in conjunction with your water changes. And as suggested vacuum your gravel to remove as much as you can. Cut back on feeding and reduce your photo period.

Water flow was also mentioned, low water flow can result in a build up of carbon dioxide (algae food). And of course the ever popular clean up crew including sand sifters.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. speedmazoku

speedmazoku Astrea Snail

I might have something rotting in there. there might be another pistol in my tank cause one of the three cleaners i have in there is gone. The tank is like 5 or 6 months and what should i do with the tang? And also if well water doesnt work, and i dont want to use tap water, then what do i use.

4. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

You can buy R/O water from a store like Meijers kmart or walmart in either jugs (Which usually run about 50-80 cents a jug) or some stores have a R/O water unti where you fill your own just (anywhere between 15-60 cents). Another option is buying water from your local fish store.
    I had the same problem because no one ever told me that tap water was bad for my tank and that I needed more flow. Once you lessen the feedings and hours of light a day, get better water and more flow, it disappears quickly.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I have to say red slime remover should not be used. You don't want to add chemicals to your tanks. Plus, the red slime will come back in time anyway. You need to fix the root causes.

How old are the light bulbs?

6. speedmazoku

speedmazoku Astrea Snail

Ok besides buying water, i do weekly changes so i dont want to run back to the lfs every week. Also i was thinking of RO'ing (not a word) my well water. Also my lights are around 5 months old, every day for 5 months 12 hours on.

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Are they power compacts? If so, they have a lifespan of 6months before they need to be replaced. Bulbs will slowly change their spectrum and algae will grow better under the spectrum they change towards...sucks doesn't it.

8. Click Here!

9. speedmazoku

speedmazoku Astrea Snail

Yes they are T5 power compacts

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

No such thing as t5 power compacts.

12. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

It's a marketing term I've seen used a few times, they are just regular power compacts when I've seen it used.