Thinking of replumbing.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by mdbostwick, Jul 11, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

So I have been thinking of replumbing my sump area for a while now and basically just don't know how to go about starting the process.

My drain line runs right into one side of my sump and i was thinking of changing my sump to where i would use a manifold. In order to add this i would need to be able to "glue" new pipe onto the existing drain but then i am without filtration for however long it takes for the glue to cure and become non toxic.

I know this kind of thing is done all the time but i just don't know how to proceed with it.

Any suggestions, threads, or articles on this subject would be a great help.

One other thing, Is it just me or does there need to be a subforum on here for all the plumbing questions?

2. Click Here!

3. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

How big is your system? I'm generally very cautious when it comes to contaminants and my system, but one area I have been fairly cavalier is plumbing on the fly. My system is around 330 gallons so in your example I would build the manifold and when that was cleaned and ready I would cut and replace waiting maybe 30 min before turning the system back on. A drain line is not under pressure and would not worry about getting a full cure like I would on a return line. The only worry is the limited amount of chemicals that may leach in that short of a time. I am by no way saying this is right or wrong, but I have done this many many times on my system without any impact.

mdbostwick likes this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The glue dries fairly quickly. Just run fresh carbon and wait as long as you can to restart.
    Fwiw i was a plumber too.lol

mdbostwick likes this.