Thinking of adding my first SPS, is this Birdnest a good first choice?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Claic Yuzolt, Oct 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

This birdnest here looks amazing to me! I am thinking of ordering it as my first SPS attempt. Apparently it is only an inch or two so and was wondering how fast growth has been for people with Birdnest sps?

Also, any experience info on care with it will help me majorly.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It's a beautiful frag.

You might want to try some monti as well. Probably the easiest of all sps imo.

Remember to acclimate to your lighting, even if it says or someone says, " It was under 250 w Mh " .

:)

4. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

You will want good water quality, lots of light, and lots of flow...

SPS corals need a very stable environment, so temp/salinity fluctuations need to be kept to a minimum. You'll want to make sure your alk is always 9 or better (10-12 recommended), calcium 400 or better (430-450 is typical) and mag is 1350 or better. For best color and growth, zero phosphates and near zero nitrates.

5. Claic Yuzolt

I have had my tank up for over a year and a half now. I do 15% WC every week. I have a 4 bulb TEK lighting system, which in my 29 Gallon I think should be enough for most SPS.

Everything is correct when testing with my Salifert Test Kits but the Calcium is around 530. Can I add the Birdnest and Monti. with the Calc. levels being that high?

What do you mean by acclimate to lighting? How would I do that? Try to put it in some shade at first?

Also, I wanted to try a Monti. Cap so I will probably be getting that too!

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Just start them lower in the tank for 3 or 4 days, and move up slowly over the next week or so. But do not place them in shaded areas.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Should do well are hardy for SPS and grow quickly. Follow the above posts and you should do well.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

IME one of the most difficult SPS to keep. Most folks view them as super easy beginner SPS. Me and at least a few other 3reefers can't seem able to keep them though. No idea why.

My only point is don't be discouraged if it doesn't make it. Birdsnest is a lot like Xenia in that in most tanks it does great but in some it just fails.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think that is common for most coral. Each tank has its own environment. I have read where folks with multiple tanks can keep the same coral in all of their tanks but one or only just in one tank. Go figure.

11. Claic Yuzolt

Alright thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

What about the Montipora digitata, here. Would this be ok for a beginner in SPS?

12. Claic Yuzolt

Well here is what I ordered. I included an Acro only because you get free shipping with orders over $225 and without it I was paying $215 so only ten dollars more for the Acro thanks to free shipping! Just thought I would try it out for 10 dollars more.

Order:

Purple Polyp Green Birdsnest Coral - Aquacultured

Montipora Capricornis, Purple - Aquacultured, ORA™

Now as for the Diver's Den stuff apparently they take down the items but I will put up items close to them.

Branching Montipora Coral Tonga

ORA® Frogskin Acropora

ORA® Derasa Clam

Hope everything works out and I will post a new thread with me opening and acclimating everything! Any info or help with these corals would be very appreciated. I read all the time but nothing compares to real people with real experience.