Thinking about trying to Frag my zoas, devils hand, and Green Pocillopora

Discussion in 'Frags' started by leighton1245, Jun 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

I've never chipped Zoas, only cut below them with a sharp razor blade trying to get as much of the hard layer under them as possible. As a precaution, I also wear a jump suit, face shield, and rubber gloves which I will tighten with rubber bands around the wrists. (I'm really paranoid about the Zoas and hate cutting them.) I do this in the laundry room and when I am finished the clothes I'm wearing go directly into the wash. No sense taking the chance and walking around wearing the juices.

The juices look like tobacco juices and are very dangerous. I have heard that 1 drop can kill up to as many as 160 healthy adult men. Not sure if this is an accurate number but I don't want to find out either. Even with gloves, be sure to wash your hands.

When I cut my Devils Hand, I take it out of the tank as they will release juices when cut that will get into the water. I have never noticed mine to get very much smaller, if any, after the cuttings. I choose to do a couple in one area, an area that will allow me to put it facing the back of the tank so the best side is facing foreward. They will heal pretty quick, about a month or so you will notice that there is another finger sticking out that is smaller but is healing nicely.

When finished with the fragging, I put 3 or 4 drops of Iodine in a separate container of water which will not only aid in healing but will also clean off the juices excreted from the cuttings. I do this with all my frags.

Good luck and don't forget the pics.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I agree use gloves, eye protection, keep mind where your hands are! Don't touch your face & stay in that area. After you are done, wipe the area with white vinegar. I have fragged a lot of zoas. If you are gluing the polyps onto a frag plug, use gel super glue & let it dry for 2-5min, it doesn't matter if the glue is still wet, it will harden underwater.. Try not to have direct flow onto the frag until glue is harden 8-12hrs. The zoa will be fine.. This is how I have done it & have not lost one yet!

4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

sweet great info now to go out and get a knife and super glue. I already have a small frag rack.

5. CODEE111

One more thing. It doesn't matter if you leave the Zoas out of the water during fragging and gluing. I have heard many times they can survive being shipped in a wet paper towel. I don't encourage this but it lets you know they will be ok the while the glue dries.

If they are not in the water during fragging, there will be more juice squirted out. I keep mine in to frag so the water catches it in case it squirts.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  6. ComputerJohn

Yes, I forgot to mention, frag out of the water.. Pat dry the area to glue on the zoa with a paper towel.. ;)

7. leighton1245

Yeah they can survive with a wet paper towel i actually got some with my live rock and it was a 2hr drive to pick it up in the middle of winter. That drive was terrible it was sooo hot in my car lol but thanks again

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

Though this is true with live rock, I have never heard of this & would not advise to ship any coral without being in water with air at the top of the container or bag..

10. leighton1245

sorry i should have said they can survive a while out of water.

11. ComputerJohn

Ok I'm confused... :confused::confused:

In the winter & it was so hot in the car? Open a window! LOL.. Were you driving in the desert? ;D Also, a couple of hours are not bad. When shipping, that like 24hrs out of the water.. IMO not advised..

12. CODEE111

No, you're right I wouldn't advise shipping them in a paper towel either nor would I ever do it.

Always remember, when taking coral out of the water, point the face portion away from you so if or when they do squirt, it does not go directly into your face. Some corals can be lethal.