Thinking about switching salts need advice

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Lovemyreef2015, Mar 13, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 Flamingo Tongue

hello, i currently use reef crystals on my reef tank but it takes forever to mix. I can't grow coralline algae at all... I've been reading about coral pro salt and I really like the reviews but just wanted to see if any one here has any thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

There are a few people who have had bad experiences on here. I'm not one. It does mix very quickly, but it can't sit for long without settling out. I want to say nothing past 4 hours. It is pricier than RC.

As far as coralline goes, if your parameters are stable and where they should be, often times too much light inhibits it's growth.

Lovemyreef2015 and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  4. Lovemyreef2015

Thanks VA for the information. I finally got the tank stable a couple months ago. I have my lights on about 8 to 12 hours a day.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Coral pro is an excellent salt and im a user of said salt. Never once have I had an issue and if you look hard enough you'll find everyone has had a bad experience with a type of salt from every manufacturer. That being said, how old is your tank? What are your parameters of alk, mag and calcium? Do you have coral in the tank? These are factors to consider before switching salts or changing your lighting schedule. My tank has been set up for years and I have a lot of coral and clams that suck elements from the water quickly. I use coral pro, I dose and do weekly water changes but I have very little coralline algae due to the competing in my tank for the elements required for coralline to grow. My advice to you is to not change salts, do not change lighting simply to increase coralline algae. Be patient. Making changes quickly in this hobby will cause you more issues than you know. The algae will grow on its own and there's no magic way to get more.

Piano10 and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Key word here, finally got the tank stable. Be patient.

7. Lovemyreef2015

The tank has been set up for two years, then I moved. It has been re setup with the same sand and rock. It is now 6 months old. I have some GSP, mushrooms and zoas at the moment. I want to start getting into acros and acans but I want to make sure that I'm providing the right elements they need. I heard coral pro is the best to use without really having to dose much to get a stable level of elements. I also do weekly water changes. Alk is 9.3, calcium 400, and mag. 1410.

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I prefer kent marine salt

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  10. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Where you are now, Reef Crystals are more than adequate. When you start putting those fuzzy sticks in, then Coral Pro is awesome. I have been using it for 4 years now with great results. Corals grow very fast in this elevated salt content. I keep mine mixed in a 100 gallon vertical tank with a mixing pump thrown in. I get mine through BRS when they have their free shipping deals going.

DSC reef and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

FTR, I have coralline everywhere using good ol' Instant Ocean. That said, coralline must be introduced into your tank; it doesn't magically appear because of conditions (unlike gha or cyano). If you don't have room for a piece of live rock, then get a small chunk of coralline-encrusted rubble, scrape it into your tank and let your powerheads spread it around.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  12. Lovemyreef2015

That's the thing bill, when the tank was set up before the move it was covered (and I mean covered) in coralline. It was so thick on the rocks it made them look fake. Yes the tank was set up for two years but the coraline started after only a month of being set up. The rocks were still covered when I moved and it slowly just went away. I know I have at least 40lbs of live rock in there. I guess it will just be a waiting game.. I don't know what else to do to get it to grow.