Thinking about shutting down refugium.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Av8Bluewater, Oct 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

My refugium has been taken over by cotton candy algae.
    I have chaeto, caulerpa , flame and grape algae.
    It barely grows but I also just got a Green Mandarin. When I put turbo snails in there they can't really get to the cotton candy because it's so interwoven with all the other macros.
    For the most part they keep it at bay in the display. I do have it in a few cracks the turbos can't get to.
    I think there is so much in the refugium it sends spore into the display more than I like. I'm finding my self toothbrushing some in the cracks here and there. I'm just afraid it may go nuts on me and be all over.

One thought is just totally clean it out and make it a frag rack with maybe a ball of chaeto for pod breeding.
    I think the main display can keep the pods going for the mandarin..
    Other than that I'm not really sure I need the refugium. I use GFO and Pellets big skimmer and socks.
    What say yee experts? !!

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

In no expert, but does your manderin eat anything other the pods?

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

That's all he eats. Do I necessarily need a refugium for pods?

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

As I said, I'm no expert, but from what I've read, a manderin can finish off a tank of pods in a short time (days). I'd suggest first seeing if he will take other foods before taking away his current source.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

In a 230g, your mandarin should be fine as long as A: the pods have a food source in the DT (algae, phyto, etc.) and B: he has no competition for food (many other planktivorous fish such as certain wrasses and some damsels will be far more aggressive hunters).

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Ok thanks. I still may clean it out and restart it with just a small amount of macro for breeding. Clear out an area for frag rack. Maybe light half with red light for macro and half with reef lights.

Mr. Bill likes this.