Thinking about putting a RDP Fuge into my setup...

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Jimbo, Jun 3, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Plankton

Well, I'm not planning on keeping fishes for awhile, and I will be concentrating on getting my tank stable in the meantime. So I'm thinking of incorporating a RDP/Refugium setup. I'm thinking of getting another smaller used tank, and setting it up as my refugium by placing it under my main tank. I'm going to drill the overflow section of the main tank, and let it drain into the refugium below. Then I'm going to pump it back up with a powerhead. My question is...Can I get away with using a strong powerhead to get the water back to my main tank above? I probably have about 5' of head pressure to overcome, is this possible? Anyone with experiences with this? I just want a simple refugium and do not want to spend too much $$$. Thanks for the feedback. I will try to post a picture of my design for comment in the next post.

I really need to figure out home to upload pictures online.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Re: Thinking about putting a RDP Fuge into my setu

That sounds like a plan.
    I would use a Mag-Drive or an Ehiem or SEN pump to return the water.

[​IMG]
    [sub]Mag-Drive Pumps[/sub]

MD Series Utility Pumps

Flow vs. Head Height as Gallons Per Hour ( by model #.)

Height MD-1 MD-1.5 MD-2 MD-3 MD-5 MD-7 MD-12
    0 80 140 275 375 500 700 1200
    1 60 120 250 350 450 650 1200
    2 30 80 210 325 415 550 1180
    3 --- 60 170 300 380 500 1150
    4 --- 40 125 270 310 480 1130
    5 --- 30 75 210 250 420 1120
    6 --- --- 20 180 180 400 950
    7 --- --- --- 120 125 350 810
    8 --- --- --- 75 80 300 710
    9 --- --- --- 25 45 220 650
    10 --- --- --- 10 20 120 600
    11 --- --- --- --- --- 50 500
    12 --- --- --- --- --- 20 450
    13 --- --- --- --- --- --- 300
    14 --- --- --- --- --- --- 130

Note: PSI = maximum pump height X .454

If it were me, I would just go ahead and get a tank as a sump, put all my hardware - skimmer, heater, etc.. - in it, and have a refugium drain into the sump. The overflow from the tank would be teed off so that one line goes to the sump, the other goes to the refugium. Put a valve on the refugium line for adjustable flow. The Mag-Drive or whatever pump would go in the sump and return the water to the tank. The return line should have a check valve to prevent draining your tank.

The trick is to figure out how to get both in you stand and have the refugium propped above the sump for gravity feed.

;D

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Plankton

Yes, this is going to be a tricky setup for me, and I think I will have a refugium overflow into a separate sump. I have a simple question. What size of a drain should i drill in my main tank for the water to gravity drain into the refugium/sump setup? I'm thinking of 1 in. drains, but I kinda want to know the volume/hr. Anyone?

Anyways, that's I have for now.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I don't recall gal/hour on 1 inch pipe, but if you go that route you will need to drill a 1 3/4 " hole for the bulkhead.

I am a little confused. Are you using that 65 plexi tank with the built-in filter in the back? Are you going to use the built-in prefilter?

This whole thing is starting to sound tricky to me. Be sure to do all your homework and weigh the pros and cons before you drill out your tank. ;D

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Plankton

Wooohaaa!!! ;D ;D ;D

Everything is hooked up and running!!!! I bought an used 20 gallon acrylic tank and an used cap 2200 pump for a total of $50 from a local reefer. I drilled the back of my main tank and fit an 1" bulkhead in it. I used an in-refugium sump by placing an small tupperware in the refugium, and put my cap 2200 pump in the tupperware to pump the water back to my main tank. The water in the main tank overflowed and drained into the bulkhead and back down into the refugium.

I took out all of the bio-balls from my system, and it's quite loud now but not too bad. I filled the refugium with about 4" sand bed with live sand from another local reefer (who went from saltwater to freshwater) for $40 ~70 lbs. Then I went to HD and bought a LOA 65W PC light fixture w/ 6700k bulb ($25) and 3 digital timers ($20 each) and egg crate ($10) and other tubings. 8)

The LOA 65W is over my refugium on a RDP timing, and I used the egg crate as my light support ~4" above water surface. The LOA light is somewhat water resistant because the light enclosure is sealed. I also bought some chaetomorpha macroalgae for $15 to export nutrient because it doesn't go sexual like caulerpa, so I don't have to worry about the RDP. The chaetomorpha is great, no mess, no roots, just clumps to itself and sit neatly on the bottom of the refugium. I'm waiting for the chaetomorpha to get use to my lighting...hehe. :thumbsup:

The rest of the egg crate, I built a proprogation tray in my refugium along the edges (~3 inches below water surface). Right now, I'm looking for a dosing pump so I don't have to add water everyday...I'm losing about 0.5-1.0 gallon per day. I'm eye-ing a pump on ebay for about $40+ right now. oh_yeah :thumbsup: oh_yeah

I'll keep ya posted. The coralline growth on the tank this month is really taking off. I got some weird critters in my tank thought....some striped pink/white thin brissle worm looking things. Oh well... ???

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

PICS! PICS! PICS!

;D