Thinking about MH

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Va Reef, Jun 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

What would be a better LED system, I believe rapidLED is one of the best right?

Would i have to angle both lights so they strike like light 1---> "\" and light two on the opposite side ---> "/" or both straight down?
    Yeah the LEDs were nice with no bulb replacements, but what happens at the end of three years when the whole fixture dies? theres 240 + shipping.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

4. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

Hello,
    If your buying two LEDs off eBay you might email them first and see if they will lower price when buying two?

2cents: I would install LEDs over a tank your size:) but i am a MH'ed fan.

5. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Stick with led's if you can.. I just took the plunge on the taotroinc's led system. i know thats not what you was running.. But I had a 150watt HQI MH i with a 20k bulb loved the color and brightness but hated the fact my chiller was running every hour it seemed to chill the tank off along with the electric bill from both MH and Chiller and topping off was like every other day..

My $.02

Best of luck..

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

If i stay LEDs it would have to be a DIY system not these par bulbs. im just really leaning towards the MH, as my LEDS have killed three colonies of SPS that were on the sandbed.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. We were able to work out a group buy with an American business that has Bridgelux LEDs. A little more trustworthy, imo.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Sounds like too much lighting to me. Look into getting a dimmable unit. My LFS switched to LEDs from metal halides and now saves over $400 a month on energy and cooling. Metal halides, if not installed correctly, will bleach your corals too.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Sounds like too much lighting to me. Look into getting a dimmable unit. My LFS switched to LEDs from metal halides and now saves over $400 a month on energy and cooling. Metal halides, if not installed correctly, will bleach your corals too.

You can get a DIY dimmable unit from rapidLED starting at $130. What size tank?

11. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

as stated, old technology. and HEAT, and ELECTRICITY! ahhh run away. lol LEDs all the way. Get in on the tao group buy. lots of 3reefers have posted great reviews about them with coral growth! and they are only 180 in the group buy.

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

yeah thats the problem, too much light, my system has been equated to a 250w MH, so i just figured i would go to the 150w. the tank is a biocube14 also what would i do with my old light? i imagine it cant be worth more then 40$, if originally it was 120 and i've had it for a year.