Thinking about a tank for a mantis

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by stepho, Jan 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I've got creeks and rivers with crayfish in them around here. It'd be an interesting fight. Those youtube videos of "Mr. Mantis" are pretty entertaining.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

LOL I'm assuming that's a movie quote

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Just got my tank, water live sand and rock. Unfortunately no hitch hiking mantis. lol

I am going to get some little feeder fresh water shrimp things to feed him so he has to use his claw. <$1 each.

I got shatter proof acrylic for the bottom of the tank. I had enough left over to make side walls, so I made those as well. Better to be safe than sorry I think.

5. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Good stuff. Can't wait to see it!

6. Antagonist

Antagonist Bristle Worm

I was unaware people actually wanted to keep these, I got a mantis in my live rock and brought it to me LFS they told me they would have a hard time getting rid of it ....... But i guess peacock mantis go for big money and the store sold it for 80 bucks. I complained that i wanted a share they told me it was a fluke that someone wanted it so they dont owe me anything............ I dont go there anymore cos someone might have to finish there shift with a blackeye and a headache

7. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

i used to feed mine rosie's, they only cost 34 cents...but then I read an article about feeding freshwater fish to saltwater animals and there is a debate. I think it's ok

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Lots of people keep mantis shrimps. Well a lot of people on this forum anyway lol. They are really cool to have. I doubt it was a peacock mantis you had. Those aren't common hitch hikers, some one on here said they are never hitch hikers but I hate to say never lol.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Here is my mantis set-up. It is a 29g biocube. I just took the top off and installed a new light yesterday. I have had a damsel in with him since the beginning and have added some corals with the new light. He also have various snails and hermits in there with him. He will mainly leave the snails alone unless I pick one up and drop it right in front of him. I feed him krill, scallops, squid with feeding sticks. Several times a month I will give him turbo snails to eat for smashing. Hermits and other snails are too little for him to bother most of the time

DSC00190.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

DSC00191.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm169/schackmel/DSC00196.jpg

here is a pic of when I first got him
    102_1329.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

He He He......just realized in the pictures you can also see my other two tanks, one FOWLR and one reef tank

11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I'm actually debating a mantis for college. A biocube etc. Keep it simple.

What's the "best" sized biocube or any built in cube thingy for a peacock mantis?

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

DO IT!!!

peacock mantises are awesome.

I am not going to get a peacock. I am getting a smaller one.

Peacocks require a 25 - 30 gal tank as an adult.