Think i have Ich but not sure

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Puffer Chick, Oct 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Hahaha I'm glad you figured that out...I'd been wondering what that was!! LOL

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hahaha

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If it's not ich, a cleaner shrimp won't do anything but cost money. Seeing as money is tight, I would use the money that you'd spend on a shrimp to buy the treatment that uncle jed recommended instead.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

IME, cleaner shrimp are not particularly hardy. I don't think in anyone's experience they are hardy enough to survive your ammonia levels.

Those fish will continue to be stressed as long as your ammonia levels are up. yes they are hardy, but they can't survive for ever like that. They will slowly get weaker and weaker from stress.

I would (actually, this isn't what *I* would do) add the prime/dechlorinator because it helps with the slime coat and it looks like that is what they need right now. I've always used one that has aloe vera but I don't know if that's really necessary or not.

Feeding twice a day is only adding to the problem. If the fish is stressed and not eating and/or not digesting correctly, feeding more often isn't going to solve that. It will only keep the fish stressed by adding to your bio-load.

1 person likes this.
  6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

After looking at the second set of pictures, I'd agree with Peredhil. I looks like slight ammonia burn. Fish don't accidentally scratch themselves that much. I don't like using prime to control ammonia, but in your case, I think you should. If it is ammonia burn on their skin, it is also burning their gills and eyes.

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Yea so far I've been able to get ahold of one of the products

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok I've cut down the feeding to once a day and I'll add the stress-zyme or whatever it is when I get home from work

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Oh man I hope it's not affecting him that bad, and will be able to get this under control ASAP. What a bad start the hobby.

11. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

what did u think it was lol

12. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

shunk shrimp are cool to have any way i dont see it being a waste at all they interact well with owners they are a great addition to any tank imo