Think i have Ich but not sure

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Puffer Chick, Oct 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok, i do have nitrate readings but they have been going down

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea i'm only feeding twice a day until the female gets her weight up then i'll cut down the feeding.

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hi, if the female is emaciated it may mean there is something going on with the fishes metabolism and/or parasite. I would purchase some Marine-Max to help with the fishes over all health, it is a good product, I use it. For good measure, add some Stress-Zyme or other appropriate slime coat protector to aid in healing of the scratches. Allow them to settle in, don't do any water changes for awhile to allow them a stress free stretch of time. I would not feed twice a day as this is adding to the Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You should add live bacteria at double the marine dose and repeat in 3 days to boost the biological filtration base and achieve saturation to help break down the Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Since the tank is still cycling, the above measures will aid in achieving proper water quality.

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Ok awesome, I am going to the LFS today for water and Ill see if they have any of that. And yea tank is still cycling and is now coming on 10 weeks. Last week I couldn't take staring at rocks any longer and broke down and got the clowns.

Also, the female poops a lot, I mainly see her pooping during feeding. And it kind of seems like a lot and it's always like a long white thin string. I have yet to see the male poop. But could so much pooping possibly cause her to loose weight?

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Again, if her metabolism is "out of whack" she could have digestive problems and over digesting not attaining the nutrients from the food and thus over excreting. You can get Marine-Max online if LFS doesn't have it.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I agree with that. Even though it's not a fish, my dog had metabolism issues and would eat a lot but stay really skinny (and poop a lot, lol). So it could be that...hopefully she gets better soon!

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i just went to the lfs, and they didn't have either of the products. My credit card is very high right now and can't afford to buy anything, but i get paid on friday, so i might be able to pay off just enough to buy the products

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lol that's too funny. I hope that's all it is, i'm hoping this isin't punnishment for putting fish in before the tank is completly cycled

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

male has it now too. I'm getting worried. But they both eat and are active, so i guess i should have nothing to worry about right? especially since it is more than likely scratches?

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

here are some more pics, some are blurry but your able to see the lines. I bought stress-zyme, i have not added it yet but plan to. I hope the male doesn't become skinny like the female.

Attached Files:

• 031.JPG
      031.JPG
      File size:
      125 KB
      Views:
    • 039.JPG
      039.JPG
      File size:
      73.8 KB
      Views:
    • 042.JPG