The Zesty Cube!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by zesty, Oct 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

It was more of a I wrote down dimensions and then Jamie gave them to her dad and he had it made for me. So, it's technically not made for a sump, the top can be drilled as needed, the back could be as well. You could fit a sump below pretty easily.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Oh really what part of AZ? I hope is sun filled for ya.

zesty likes this.
  4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

93 cube is an excellent size. Looking forward to progress, Matt!

zesty likes this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Can't wait to see it wet! Congrats zesty

zesty likes this.
  6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Tucson, I'm looking forward to it quite a bit! Although it was in the 50s yesterday and 47 as of this morning in WISCONSIN! Haha, either way, maddy is super excited and that is the best part of this trip for me. She's never been on a plane or to a desert. I know we plan on going to Tombstone. Which reminds me that I have some Kurt, val and Sam to watch, after I pack...
    It's really going to be a change. And I'm super excited! Just setting it next to the 60 has gotten me really excited! It really throws some perspective on what I'm getting into. And I can't wait!
    Thank you, sir! I can't wait to continue on this thread. I'm hoping to at least get the tank sometime soon. Then I can leak test, drill, leak test again.

It's been nice to be able to take my time and think things thru. (this is just what I tell myself)

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Small update, while on vacation I got a message from a local reefer. He was selling his (wait for it) 93g cube!!! With 2 x-aquas already drilled and installed.
    Of course, you have to have pictures, I get it. This is as far as I could get it in the house with Jamie's help. We're both battling colds and I picked the crappiest day to drive over an hour to pick up. Not complaining though, that was the only day I had a truck! plus, I'm wicked impatient. :)
    [​IMG]

No experience with these, but they seem to have great reviews out there.
    [​IMG]

This is how it was plumbed for 6 months and no leaks. With my thru-wall sump, I'm probably going to run dual drains, I just need to figure out the plumbing. yikes....
    [​IMG]

The drains are for 1.5" ID hose. The x-aquas have barbed fittings on there, so I'm still not exactly sure what I'm going to do.

Anyone with better ideas of plumbing, please please suggest some ideas for me.

8. Click Here!

9. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

So I asked on my local forum, but I'm all about getting as much information as possible.

ok, handypeople, I'm calling yous out. I am not good with this sort of stuff, I wish I was, but I'm not and that's how it's going to be. So with that said, I don't want to take any chances on this stand I was gifted for xmas. I pretty much have no choice to use it, unless I want to upset the in-laws...

So, please let me know what you think, what needs added/change? What should I do to make this stand sturdy and last?
    Thank you in advance for your input, anything will be better than what's in my head.
    On hand at my house is 2x4s and 4x4s from when I thought I was going to build something myself. (what a disaster that could have been)

If you want any more pictures, just ask and I will get them.
    Thanks!
    Matt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't even understand what's going on in the back...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

That's a tough one. I think the most important thing would be for the added vertical supports go to the floor to make sure they aren't sitting on plywood.

zesty likes this.
  11. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

I would start off by building an internal support system out of the 2x4s, like the picture. (picture is not mine) To do this will require no small amount of diy ingenuity. It would be easiest if you could disassemble the current stand, but it is probably glued. Does the stand have a bottom in it or just the shelf? If you have a bottom I would remove it. Remove the two horizontal supports and build top and bottom squares, attach the bottom from the stand to the bottom frame. Ensure all nails or screws will not protrude and scratch your floors or pick at your carpet. Make your four corner pieces out of two 2x4s making a "L" shape, ensure all four corners are the exact same length. Place top and bottom frames on the corners and screw together. Finally attach the plywood to the frame with plenty of wood glue and screws.

Attached Files:

zesty likes this.
  12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

You hit what I was running around in my head lew. I just didn't know what to think as I'm no carpenter (or even close). So, I don't trust my building skills.

It does have a bottom and that was concerning to me, I just didn't get a good picture of it.

Thanks though, this gives me something to look at and try and plan out rather than just look and gawk at the stand catching flies.