The WP40 Thread (Short Vid Posted)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Daniel072, Mar 31, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. junior279

junior279 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

do you have to use the light sensor with this pump?

2. Click Here!

3. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

No you do not, if you don't want the pump to go into night mode then don't install the sensor.

The only reason I did is because the pump is too much for a 55 gallon tank and I wanted to give my corals a little break. I'm waiting for an voltage controller to arrive and then I'll see if I can slow it down to a point where my corals are not getting beating all the time.

I even considered put it on the controller for my JBK wavemaker and setting it to 6 or 9 min. That way it will be on for 6-9 min and then off for 6-9 min.

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

OK guys, I have received my pump. I took some pics while unboxing and have made a short video with the pump in the tank. It's not completely installed yet as the power cord is hanging over the front of my tank so I am going to get back to that but I will say, my water got awfully dirty from a bunch of detritus as soon as I plugged it in. I have been very impressed for the last 10 minutes

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I have decided to stick with 2 x Koralia 4's and the WP40. This isn't because the WP40 isn't strong enough at all. This is simply because my scape is so wonky, it's hard to hit everything and even though I know for a fact the wp40 was getting most of the tank, I don't think it was getting behind the rockwork enough. So in turn, I pointed my koralia's behind the rock. With even those turned on (I think they are getting about 1200 gph each) the wp40's wave doesn't even look like they are there.

6. junior279

junior279 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 75 gallon. would this pump be to much flow for my tank?

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

My opinion is that you can't have too much flow if sand isn't flying everywhere. With this being said, it all depends on the type of tank, scape and all of that good stuff. People are also running them down to like 15-18 volts I believe and slowing the flow down a bit. One thing you have to think about though is the size of the pump. You get big flow but this is a big pump.

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I think this would be plenty for a 5 foot tank. If I set the wavemaker just right, I can make it splash over the side of my 120.

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

OK, so here's a video of the pump in action. What you hear is the pump itself running. This guy is pretty loud but from what I have read from other people's experiences, they tend to quieten down. This video was taken with ONLY the WP40 running and my return pump which is only 950 gph not counting head pressure. This thing moves a lot of water. I'm going to post a few unpacking pics in a bit.

[​IMG]

11. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Congrats on the new pump Daniel. I have done a lot of research and plan on getting one this month. I think it will work great in my 125g.
    Can't wait I see a review, pics and a video.
    Congrats man.

12. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Ok here we go with the "unboxing"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here's the deal with the pump:

1. It is pretty well made from what I can tell. It's sturdy and all.
    2. It moves a crap load of water. I mean it can cause the water to spill over the side of my tank.
    3. Please don't attempt to read the instructions.
    4. It works as advertised.
    5. The various settings are pretty cool.
    6. The pump does have a bit of a drone sound but like I stated earlier, that should clear up.
    7. I think this performs as well as a tunze and honestly I like it better than MP40 because you can move it around. It swivels.
    8. Only time will tell if it lasts like a tunze.