The WP40 Thread (Short Vid Posted)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Daniel072, Mar 31, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Brings a new meaning to "it didn't get this way overnight".

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Well, I've now got all my water movers- including my sumps return flow nozzle- on the ends of my 125.

The end with my intank overflow has: WP40, and a MJ900- w/ circulation mode fan

the other end has: MJ1200- w/ circulation fan, my POS Koralia (aimed mostly at my frag rack), and the sumps return nozzle.

I'm thinking my Reef, and I am liking this so far.
    Nothing hanging in the middle like before, the flow seems great!
    The only one on any kind of wavemaker is my WP40, swwms to mix it up enough to make the entire tank fairly random flow.

My conservative estimate, with the wp's random flow, is about 5000g/h

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I installed both WP-40s last night :) These things are as awesome as others have described! I bought mine off of Ebay, and they both came with photosensors and I guess the new controller (has Hi, Lo, W1, W2, W3, & Else modes). The tank only has 50 lbs of dry rock in it, so I am not really able to tell flow yet, but they definitely move some water! I put both on W1, max frequency, and there were some good size waves in the tank! Otherwise, I let them run on Else mode for now.

Interesting note, the photosensors do work, however not in complete darkness? They put the controllers in night mode if the room is only lightly lit (at dusk last night), but once it was pitch black, they stayed in day mode. I turn on a little lighting in the room, and they go in night mode again. I may just plug in a nightlight near them and see if that "fixes" them.

Either way, these are definitely worth the money. Even for having the worst English instructions I have ever read! (although parts of them are quite humorous to read :))

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The new controllers also have S1, S2 and S3 speed control modes so you can control the speed at 50%, 75% and 100% when in Else mode.

6. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

Glad you like them.
    The controller you got is the old version.
    The new version has 3 more buttons that say S1, S2, S3, but they only work on the W1 mode.

New Controller.
    [​IMG]

There is supposed to be an even newer version that no one has seen yet.

Contact the person you bought it from and see if they can get you the new controller if you want it.

Depending on the size of your tank you may need an LED dimmer to reduce the voltage.

[​IMG]

Yes the night sensor does need a little bit of light to work properly, a night light may work, but I heard of a new photo that works better.

Look on EBay for 30PCS Photoresistor GL5537 LDR Photo Resistors.
    I think Radio Shack has them too.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

No the new controllers only control the speed in W1.
    It has been confirmed by people who have gotten them.

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Oh ok, I missed that. Although you say Else, and \|/ says W1. W1 would make sense since it is all or nothing, where as Else is random.

Thanks for the info! I don't see a need to upgrade the controllers though. I have a 6' long 125, so I don't think I will need to reduce the voltage. I will try the night light tonight, since I already have some around the house. If that doesn't work, I will grab some new ones. Thanks for posting what you found to work!

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

My bad.
    Using a Kill A Watt meter on the WP-40 in W1 mode and S1 I get a low of 14.8 watts up to 38.4 watts. W1-S2 gets you 9.3 up to 17.0 watts and W1-S3 gets you 6.8 to a high of 11.3 watts so you are correct. Pretty close to the 50%, 75% and 100% they claim. The highest watts I recorded was 38.5 on the WP-40.

Even W1-S3 was still too much for my DSB so I will use the WP-25s for now. I'm still adjusting them too. On the 25, W1-S1= 6.0 to 10.5w, W1-S2= 5.4 to 9.4w and W1-S3= 4.2 to 6.4w. The highest watts I recorded on the WP-25 was 20.4 watts.

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

speeed control is only in W1 mode.... pretty lame

12. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

Agreed. That's why I curious as to what the changes on the 1F version of the controller are going to be.