The unofficial egg crate thread!!!!!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by SwimsWithFish, Dec 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Agreed. I had SPS at the bottom of my 55 grow with ATI bulbs.

2. Click Here!

3. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

Egg crate and fiberglass window screen

''

Hello Ashevillian, I use doubled egg creat, 4" black ties(cut off tails), PVC, and fiberglass window screen. With this material you can build just about anything you can think of for your tank.
    NNR sand bed under my old 750 was 1" pvc cut off's with doubled egg crate on that and then two layers of window screen with 6" of sand over that. * keep egg creat back from front, back, and sides about 2" from tank walls to allow the screen to seal off area from sand and then you see sand and not the egg crate at your edges.
    I did the same kinda stuff to build my new three level raised sand beds BUT i am using a large grade of substrate that will not compact and allow water to move sand beds. The bottom of tank with have a mix of small/larger because i am going to use a Hydro Wizard 15000gph along with (1) Reefflow Gold Dart Pump for system exchange through sump and don't want an ongoing sand storm.
    http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z383/RipTide54/Picturesofreefsupports005.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ingtar_shinowa

5. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

Reef structure support

Hello ingtar_shinowa,

It's a 7' x 10" three level sand bed with skylights that will help support my reef structure. Each level will hold 2" of crush coral the skylights are to allow light to lower areas. If i do my rock work right you won't see support it's also black as is the back of my DT.

6. Oldsalt

Oldsalt Plankton

I like your rock support/shelf idea, what did you use to make it black and not harm your tank?

7. ingtar_shinowa

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

414-242 is this going to be in the same tank build that your deep water high flow water trough / sump is going to be? I really really look forward to seeing what information you share with your awesome experiences with Reefers :-D

Look forward to one day modeling my next build based on your recommendations and suggestions that you've done in your builds

10. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

Very nice of you

Thank you for the great words:) To tell you the truth you are at the right place to learn, this forum is kinda like a school. As you know we all start out as newbeee's and before long we are helping teach what we learned.
    Yes the high/flow goes to my 300 gallon DT along with all the reactors and elevated sand beds.
    I learn new stuff all the time here and other forums as you are doing Ashevillian. I will do my best to help you or just bs with any question you have you can alway's pm.

1 person likes this.
  11. BUGz

BUGz Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Why will you never do it again?
    I'm setting up a 110 and 135 and was planning egg crate for the bottoms before the sand/LR goes in.

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

There are some fish/shrimp that like to burrow in the sand. With egg crate down there, this makes it almost impossible for them to.