The RO/DI shimmy shimmy snake

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ReefSparky, Jan 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I got my RO/DI unit last Tuesday and just yesterday mounted it. I bought a 1/4" x 2" x 30" steel bar and went to work. I'm in a 2 bdrm condo and limited on space, so I mounted the unit in my laundry room up and to the left on the wall. I bought a pkg of toggle bolts, hoping to use at least one on a stud. No stud found. I used 2 toggle bolts and 2 of these cantilevered zip-it type jobs that self-tap, and by using a 3" screw retract and pull back, becoming parallel with the drywall. After cutting the bar down to 26" I spaced 4 holes every 6 1/2", drilled at 1/4" in diameter to accomodate the screws and 1/4" fender washers against the steel. I also got 2, 1" long 1/4" bolts, and drilled and tapped the steel bar so that they protrude outwards, onto which the RO/DI unit mounts.

That was yesterday, and although time consuming; was easy.

Today I've been drilling thru dry wall, snaking the food grade water tubing room to room, on a path to my tank. I'm still torn on whether to use a float switch in my sump, or just run the tube to the sump and manually deliver 1 gallon of RO/DI water nightly. I'm torn. I didn't get the storage tank with my unit, so the float switch would be the only triggering device. The unit did come with an auto shut off valve. (Airwaterice.com claims they designed this valve 6 years ago.)

Anyway, the shimmy shimmy snake to which I refer is the action of getting this water tubing room to room, through 2 pieces of drywall at a time. I got a 12" long, 1/4" diameter bit to only have to drill once per transition.

Anyways, I posted this really to take a breather, and I'm about to get back to work. Was wondering how many have been through this too. Bet it's more than one of ya. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

Done. It took one coupling and nearly 50' of tubing, but I'm to the aquarium. I'm still undecided on whether to manually fill nightly, or hook up the float valve. But the important thing here is I'm Done!!!!

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

go float valve I still over flow water buckets when I'm making change and top off water..... I gotta get one of them...

post some pics dude! congrats and I did mine without hubby's help! it's easy though I didn't have to snake it(yet)

5. ReefSparky

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have float valve that I use in the sump but it is only for emergency if the Auto top off that goes through the kalk reactor can't keep up. I would at least get a float valve up and working, you can always change it later.

7. cuttingras

nice job on the install!!! looks very neat!

as far as photobucket...see all those weird codes under the picture? click on the bottom one, should be IMG and it'll say copied, then right mouse click on the subject of the reply, (where you want to put the pic), and hit paste...... you can space between the pics to add comments if multiple pics added to reply. Hope this doesn't confuse....

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

thanks, cuttingras. I am familiar with posting multiple pics in a thread, but I didn't want to post all 14 pics here, so instead I linked to my photobucket album. Though I wish I could figure out how to post a link to just those 14.

10. cuttingras

gotcha pm me and I'll walk ya thru it or IM me at yahoo...cuttingras

11. ReefSparky