The Reef-Keeping Hobby In China

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by steve wright, Apr 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I agree! I would love to see pictures and hear experiences from the U.A.E., Australia, etc. It's awesome to be part of a forum with such a diverse community.

2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

great read
    I like the look of that last display tank

cool shark tank :D

1 person likes this.
  4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I have not yet worked out how to multi quote on replies

so thanks to everyone who has commented and I will post another thread in the near future to capture suggestions recieved above
    there are a number of out of the ordinary things available like the black tipped sharks which are about 2 ft long and cost a fortune to ship Coral reefer, but egg rolls -no problem)

1 person likes this.
  5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Regarding multi-quote - use [​IMG] <-- this button on the posts you want to quote, then use the 'Post Reply' button.

Thanks again Steve for the interesting article. I look forward to seeing your follow ups!

1 person likes this.
  6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Very nice article, Steve. I was wondering. Their fish and corals all look to be in good shape. What are prices like as compared to the west? Jebo P.S. over here you can get for like 70 bucks(but we know we wouldn't buy one of them ;) )

1 person likes this.
  7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thanks Matt, for this, which as you can see works for me and for tidying up my article so it was more presentable

Hi Linda
    fish and corals are normaly very healthy. most of the stores are in fact front of business outlets , with many having warehouse facilities where they do ion fact quarantine things before hitting sale tanks

I did not want to post prices, for fear of upsetting my fellow reefers but as you have asked here are some examples

GSP covered rock 6 inch piece - local currency 85 rmb - exchange at present 6.8 rmb - 1 usd ( without my calc its about 12.50 USD)

shrooms - large colony of green hairy (lovely under actinics) 35 rmb - just over 5 usd

most LPS corals are between 100 and 200 local - the bubbles are the most expensive, but Torch and hammer are around the 100 mark

the large emperor , adult colours in the photo would cost 400 rmb and the yellow tailed blue damsels I purchased 15 months or so ago cost me 30 rmb each so about 4 USD

for guitar man Aquajapan ( its working, so Im not laughing) 1.5 M canopy with 6 x 80 watt T5Ss supplied upgraded to Aquamedic tubes cost me 800 rmb - 125 USD

imported dry goods work out more expensive I paid 500 rmb
    ( 40 pounds sterling) for the Tropic marin calc / mag test kit and my team mates in UK tell me they can purchase there for 27 UK pounds

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

wow...very interesting! Like others said it is very neat to see how things are done in other areas of the world!

thanks again!

10. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Not bad! Isn't it funny how we're all buying the same stuff, yet prices vary so greatly! cool thanks Steve!

11. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Its amazing that the livestock looks quite healthy >< K+

1 person likes this.
  12. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Excellent article...

1 person likes this.