The Red Sea Max Aquarium

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GLB186

GLB186 Plankton

Psycho;
    Interesting post-how about a update! Is all Well?
    Take Care-Jerry:)

2. Click Here!

3. Lisa Cooper

Lisa Cooper Plankton

Red sea max

Hi I bought a red sea max 130 L yesterday and am in the beginning stages.

The shop assistant said that the filter is not necessary, the sea max works fine without. Want a second opionon?? Any tipps? Want to do it right!

4. kingjaymaster

kingjaymaster Plankton

red sea max owner

I have had my Max running for several months now and I'm very happy with it overall. Very pleasant to look at, a nice piece of furnature. This set up is very user friendly, truly plug-n-play. The only drawback I have found so far is the filtration that comes with it is not very good. The flow rate seems to be slow so I removed the filter sponge that came with the tank. I'm still not happy with the filtration so I ordered a canister filter to hook up to it. I have had no other problems with it. I have live rock, live corals, 5 fish, a coral banded shrimp, an emerald crab, and various snails and hermit crabs. Maintaining the tank is very easy.The built in timer works great for automatic lighting. And built in on/off switches for each pump unit ara very handy. Yes, you could put a tank together for less money, but this setup is plug-n-play and worth the money for ease of setup and use. I have about 1100.00 in the complete system. I recommend this tank for beginners or expierenced aquarists.

5. GLB186

GLB186 Plankton

Sir;
    Did you utilize roi water on the initial fill? Also, how is everthing going as of this date?
    Thanks-Jerry

6. kingjaymaster

kingjaymaster Plankton

Yes, I used R.O. water on initial fill. I have had great success up to this point. My live corals are doing just fine too. I suggest you invest in a canister filter like I did. I found the filtration to be rather inadiquite when I set up my Max. But the canister filter works nicely. Also, I dont use the coarse black sponge filter that came with the Max either, I found it restricts the water flow too much. No other problems so far, I really enjoy my Max. Good luck.

7. GLB186

GLB186 Plankton

Sir;
    Canister filter? Can you provide more info, & why you feel this is important with the red sea max!
    Thanks Much-Jerry

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i find it interesting how they call the dual 55 watt power compacts t5's.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  10. rosemarie

rosemarie Plankton

RED MAX now

Anyone had one of these running for 6 months or longer? Wondering how it handles bioload and holds up. Thanks.

11. darrell

darrell Astrea Snail

They have this unit at my local fish dealer very nice it has everything you need to start a reef tank the right price,lights,skimmer,flow everything im getting one for my lid for christmas only have to add 1 korrila fan to make it prefect.

12. lsteele

lsteele Plankton

Go to cadlights.com to see the best all in one nano I have ever seen:eek: