The Photo Size Limit has been raised

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Jun 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Per request, I took a look at the photo size limitation for uploading as an attachment around here. I compared it to the old site and realized it was much smaller. I raised it to match. It is now 400000kb which I believe is 4 megabytes. 4 times larger. That should help. :)

Sorry all, there are a lot of settings around here. lol

matt

Pete polyp and civiccars2003 like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics 3reef Sponsor

Matt this is one that I just read about myself, you can specify a re-size dimension so that when people upload pics that are super huge, they get resized down dimensionally which reduces the file size as well.

So if you set a 4MB file size limit but a 640x480 pic resize (not saying you should, just pulled that one out of the air) then the resultant file size will be pretty small actually. I was looking for the thread on xF that described one example but I can't find it now.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for the tip Bud. I'll look into that a bit.

5. Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics 3reef Sponsor

Here's the tip/guide I was looking for

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/a-guide-to-xenforo-attachments-photos.2439/

This is more for limiting the size of the file though. If you have xF configured to show the file in a certain dimension and then give the ability to click the pic to see the full size version, I'm not sure how this would work together.

So I think you can set a maximum X * Y dimension and a maximum file size, and then I think one would be able to upload a larger file size as long as it is below the maximum allowable file size after xF automatically resizes the dimensions. Then you could set a "default" display size to a given set of dimensions (which would be smaller than the maximum dims) so that you would display the smaller size pic, but be able to click it to see the full-size pic.

If that makes sense.

What add-on are you using to allow the "click to see the full size" function? I want that!

6. Pete polyp

Pete polyp Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That's great! Most of my pictures are well under that, but were just a bit too large (no pun intended)

Matt Rogers likes this.
  7. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

ty matt. that helps loads.

Matt Rogers likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Awesome. It makes a difference sometimes. Really like the new website.
    I wish I could get larger pics on my local club forum. I think theirs is limited to 250k.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow now that is old school. It reminds me of when I used to have to make banners that were 20k. lol
    Glad you like the new site!

Turbo's Aquatics likes this.
  11. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

12. Salty Habit

Salty Habit Plankton

Same problem with uploading pics. Says the memory is to low error. Any tips?

: 3reef