The perfect aquarium store name

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by kennedy450r, Jun 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Wow I feel really bad continuing this thread...but our blessed Inwall didn't close it...so I feel open to add more to it (I still feel like I missed something huge here...

Anyways I liked these.

And I really liked this, even though only select few people can call a store that and have a really good excuse. :D

I wonder how much profit is actually pulled in through your average LFS. Sure, customers will spend what we consider quite alot of money, but then again it takes quite alot of money from the customers to pay for the electricity, water, lighting, chemicals for dosing, getting livestock shipped in, etc. I view it as something that would more "balance out" as far as customer cash flow and company spending goes. Anyone know differently? It'd be nice for me to be proven wrong :D

2. Click Here!

3. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

I honestly don't remember the exact location, but I believe there is a Pandora's Box fish store some place in the greater OC area and I know Piece of the Reef is a LFS in Irvine next to the airport.

4. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

After the divorce wouldn't it be Z to A Marinelife? :p

As for money, any good business model should hope for around a 10% return on investment. That's after salaries and all overhead. It can take years to get to that point and MOST business will more likely fail before they see that kind of return, but that's a decent goal.

My non-fish related business has a 5 year break even goal. After that I figure if I'm not breaking even month-to-month AND paying off start-up debt I'll find something else to do.

I don't think many people are getting filthy rich off a LFS model business, but hard work and the risk involved validates a high 5 figure, low 6 figure salary after several years of eaking out things on a shoe string. My goal is that if I ever make $200,000 in a year on my business I will hire 2 more employees and expand.

Over the course of a life time I think small business owners deserve some return, and it all averages out.... hating on business owners because their business runs at a profit and they won't give you that at-cost discount some people feel entitled to is low brow.

not saying anyone here expects that... just seen it in my own business a few times. For every customer that spends $100 in my shop I probably have $150 in debt somewhere else :p

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  5. Geoff

Geoff Teardrop Maxima Clam

Our local lfs is all about the dogs, dog supplies and grooming, thats what keeps them up and running. I don't know if a fish only store would be profittable here. You really can't tell how many people are into fish around town. It would probably have to be a small store packed with good stuff and from someone with good knowledge of fish,fresh and salt, and would have to build a good rep. I have contemplated on starting a fish only store around here simply because I love it and you have to drive over an hour just to find a good lfs. Plus you would have to have decent pricing because these in town are a rip off, way over priced, forces me to do alot of online shopping.

As far as a name,Life Down Under, Tropical Paradise, Fish Addictions (or Additions) or something as simple as The Fish Store may be just as good as a fancy name. Just a few off the top of my head.

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Please accept my apology. I feel bad.

7. AaaRr

AaaRr Spaghetti Worm

Out of all the names LFS wins. IMO

8. Click Here!

9. asking4trouble

asking4trouble Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Just a little 'disclaimer' before you read my reply, I did not have anything edited in this thread but I read most of it before it was edited and I am commenting from an outsiders perspective.

Inwall, you sound extemely disappointed :confused::confused::confused: Your extreme rexation is what is prompting this reply. Had the initial edits by Amcarrig stood with his direct explination I would not be asking the following quesions. Please dont misconscrew what I say now as anything more than determining what the bounderies on 3reef are and in fact what yours personally are. I have of course read the agreement but still feel the need to ask the questions based on your edits, your very very very strong wording and the fact that some people who you deleted/edited probably feel really bad by your reaction and perhaps too embarressed to reply? Im immune to embarressment fortunately! ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

I beleive one post deleted refered to a marine creature that is sometimes a slang name for a human body part. I actually had to research to find out its slang name, so im not sure what child would get that reference to begin with. Perhaps a poor joke but hardly that offencive? Do you see the interesting prediciment I am in now, I feel I cant say this common edible sea creatures name now as reference. It feels some what silly that i cant... Do you agree? Is this animal allowed to be discussed again, ever?

I beleive another post linked to a website advertising to an australian dance troup who do most of the dancing in underwear. Poor link.... perhaps.?..but not really anything your child isnt about to see in the next television commercial. I assume this was what you were most offended by?

Yes there was some deteriation in the thread, some reference to dancing artists, a couple of double meanings and perhaps some poor jokes but nothing to the extent that your reaction seemed to provoke. I feel your reaction was disproportionate to what was actually said. You have used some extremely strong statements there like "Never in all of the years of modding these forums have I been this disappointed" and your bolds etc... Do you feel perhaps you over reacted or is it more accurate that I did not read something really crucial before it was deleted?

I read Amcarrigs edits before your additional edit/post and didnt blink an eye. His seemed a little 'whatever' but than you went back over them and... well I was very shocked by your reaction. As someone who has also moderated forums before I understand the line is fine. From my perspective Amcarrigs edits/post was perfectly pitched. It did not leave me with a sense that 3reef is a boring place to be which is what your reaction left me with.

I feel this must be said because Im pretty sure your reaction has made a few people feel realy bad and I ask the question; was that justified? ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

I have thought about pressing the 'enter' key for two minutes and yes, feel i should press enter, hoping that my reply only encourages constructive debate and perhaps just a little tiny apology from you Inwall?

PS: my user name 'asking4trouble' is not and never was any kind of reference to the types of posts i like, want to attract or try to post on - just for the record ;D;D;D;D;D

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I have no problems with the edits I've made so I'm not going to apologize. They aren't permanent deletions, they are up for review by all of the moderators at this time. What happens next will have to be discussed by many people as to which, if any, posts are restored.

Links to male strippers have nothing to do with reefing and are inappropriate. References to female body parts (whether said in slang or not) are inappropriate and have nothing to do with reefing. Links to certain smells of female body parts have nothing to do with reefing and are inappropriate. Plain and simple. Whether it goes over a kids head doesn't matter to me.

There was one person who publicly apologized. Do you not think I contacted them privately? They have been a valuable member of this forum for a while. However, what I said to them was PRIVATE. That's why they are called "private messages". If they choose to let you know what I said to them, that's their choice.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I am not going to answer for inwall but I will say this. What may or may not be offensive to you or me can be considered very offensive to someone else. Just because you don't think that what was posted could be detrimental to a child were they to read/see it does not mean that your opinion is shared by everyone. Our job is to make sure that NOBODY on 3Reef is offended by what is posted here. While this isn't always possible, we do our best to keep everybody happy.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Many of our South Bay LFS's are Asian owned and the name means something to them in their culture (Lucky, King, etc). Heck one of the only non Asian owned LFS in the South Bay is Dolphin Pet Village. I've asked many how they came up with the name and the explanation is had been fairly similar :)

FWIW many names listed here are in use but do not let that discourage you. I have so many repeat names on my customer list it can be confusing at times...like which of the 6 Exotic Aquatics I ship to :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.