the official ECOBAK thread...

Discussion in 'Warner Marine' started by Jon Warner, Feb 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Stevie....how ya doin' mate?

I'm running 1 reactor with EcoBak in my new 60g Frag & another reactor with EcoBak in my 90g. I put them both in & fired them up last week. So far-So good. I have also been running GFO passively (in the sock filter). I really have never liked GFO because it tends to 'burn' certain corals. So, I'm waiting for the time, in another week, I'll start cutting back on the GFO load & increase the EcoBak a little at a time until the EcoBak dominates.

I've got alot of faith in these pellets, as one of our Sponsors recommended it to me last Summer. He's been using his for well over a year in his 1200g system. :thumb_up:

2. Click Here!

3. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hey Jon, another question.

Pauses in flow :

-for feeding, so as not clog pump inlet.
    -Power outages
    -reactor cleaning and/or maintenance

What's the allowable time period without flow to the pellets? Does no flow for a certain period of time deem them un-usable? What effect would these pauses have on the aquarium?

4. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

Hello a very long pause will lead to stagnation in the reactor and lots of nasties. However... that'd take days. I'd say anything under 8 hours is not a problem, longer than that just rinse the media in saltwater and restart them.

5. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

ok i have a question now. I have hob everything cause the placement of my tank doesn't allow a sump. So if i get a BRS reactor with a maxi 1200 and run that in the tank i will get the same benefit as someone with a sump?

6. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

While the RO/DI filter housing works OK, it's not the most efficient. Without a sump a canister filter works OK.

7. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

ok right now all the equipment i am running is a hob eshopps skimmer and and hob fuge. How best could i get the bio pellets fully functioning in this system cause i am super interested? sorry still learning a ton.

8. Click Here!

9. Nismo400rgtr

I'm in the same boat as you with the inability to run a sump since I live in a basement a my tank is on a stand just over a foot off the floor. I recommend a dedicated reactor for the pellets. I have no experience with the BRS reactors and I know they try to keep things very cost effective, but a canister style R.O. Unit converted to be a reactor is no good IMO with anything other than solely pellets. Anything before or after them(as in ie., In-line) will interfere with their consistent operation.

Also, you probably won't need the fuge, after some time unless you really want it ;).

10. Nismo400rgtr

Thanks Jon!

11. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I have an eheim 2215 canister and was thinking about removing all the media that is in it now and just replacing it with ecobak. you said it works "OK", and I understand that a reactor would be better, but it is a money issue right now, and I already have the canister, so is it worth it? or should I just hold out and purchase a reactor when I can?

12. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

It WILL work, just not as efficiently as in a reactor. That just means that it won't have the same capacity at it's limit in a canister filter but it's probably just a difference of a few percentage points. It'll work well in a canister.