the official ECOBAK thread...

Discussion in 'Warner Marine' started by Jon Warner, Feb 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

Yes. You're right there, very low NO3 and PO4. But if you want to scavenge more NO3 then you need to add a little more PO4. A little flake food and you will be right there. Once the NO3 and PO4 are both near undetectable, they will stay that way UNLESS you import some extra PO4 or NO3 like through fish food.

2. Click Here!

3. earthbound

earthbound Plankton

If you don't mind me asking but what are you expecting to accomplish by getting your NO3 to 0.0 as I have always had better growth and color by keeping my NO3 in the 2-4 range

4. milonedp

milonedp Plankton

Great question and I've seen that too over the years. I wanted to try something a little different this time. I want to be able to really feed heavily I plan to ultimately have more fish than I've had before (relative to size). I also have a couple tufts of algae and wanted to understand where "0" is for this tank then feed feed feed and see if that will compensate for normally having higher nitrates but eliminate those little spots of algae. Not sure if it'll work or how the LPS will look.

5. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

Hey Jon another question...

I am plumbing to my system another 60 gallon tank which will use the same water (total of 240 gallons with the new addition). I was planning on adding an additional 250ml for the 60 gallon tank..
    When looking at the reactor I notice an obvious lower amount than I started with.

So my question is how to determine the used amount to replace?

I wish I would have marked a line on the reactor when I started so I would be able to tell when and how much to add but I didnt.. So what do I do at this point?

6. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

Hello,

That's tough... I'd say add a known amount to the reactor and see how much the level increases. For example if you have 3" of ecoBAK in there now and you add 250ml and the level goes UP by 1" then you probably had about 750ml in there already before you added the last 250ml.

7. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

Another "is this the right flow" question

Is this too aggressive flow?

In case the insert doesnt work here is the direct youtube link.. YouTube

Thanks...

8. Click Here!

9. milonedp

milonedp Plankton

That video is marked private and won't play

10. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

I think i fixed the video..

11. milonedp

milonedp Plankton

I could watch that. Looks good to me, a little fast right at the bottom but mine is like that too. Be interested in Jon's opinion too.

12. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

that's not bad... a little on the aggressive side but it's OK. If your nutrient levels are really low like <2-3NO3 and <.05PO4 it's ok to use a slightly more aggressive flow. For higher nutrient levels that's a little too hot.