the official ECOBAK thread...

Discussion in 'Warner Marine' started by Jon Warner, Feb 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

Hey Jon,

I have been running ecobak for 8 months. I recently added an additional 60 gallon tank plumbed with my 125 with 40 gallon sump. Estimated total gallon around 170-180 with rock displacement of water.. My skimmer is an older model but has worked well but wondering if its big enough for the additional water.. Its an Vertex IN180.. Will it be big enough?

2. Click Here!

3. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Whew! It took a bit more than an hour and half a pot of coffee to read through this thread, but I didn't find the answer I was looking for! ;D

I've used TLF bioplastics in a Phosban 150 reactor for years, but recently started struggling with nuisance algae and cyano. Knowing that the TLF combo was undersized for my system, I decided to start researching a better alternative. After reading countless reviews of reactors and biomedia, I settled on an Aquamaxx Biomaxx XL and 1000ml of EcoBak.

I know that it will take weeks for the bacteria to colonize the media before I can expect results, but I am experiencing an unexpected side effect. Since day 1 (I'm currently on day 5) of running EcoBak, my skimmer stopped producing. I thought that maybe something was being added to the water column but after reading Jon's comments that wouldn't seem to be the case. (I did find some information about a competing product that caused a similar effect due to lipids in the media that typically resolved after a few days.) Have any of you other EcoBak users experienced this? If so, how long did it take to resolve?

Jon, if you're still watching this thread, have you heard of anything similar? Its probably nothing to worry about, but with an already high nutrient condition, the lack of export concerns me. :confused:

4. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

Yes it's quite a long thread!!

Usually you will see a skimmer stop working when something affects the surface tension of the water. That can be a new pump, a new skimmer, putting your hand in the water, feeding or adding a water supplement. I haven't actually ever heard of a skimmer shutting down for 5 days after ecoBAK use.
    But anyway, the surface tension will return to normal and when it does keep an eye on the skimmer and adjust accordingly as the bacteria reproduce and skimmate increases. If you didn't rinse the ecoBAK there may be some ecoBAK "dust" affecting the water.
    Like I've said before, ecoBAK is a plastic that in a sterile environment would be totally inert. ecoBAK is only broken down by bacterial activity.

Let us know how it goes!

5. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

I think you will be ok. If you've been running ecoBAK for 8 months you already have clean water and the skimmer won't be excessively overburdened.

6. GraviT

Thanks for the response and all you're doing to help this forum and its members!

I figured it was a surface tension issue and in hindsight, it could have been caused by the new pump, tubing, valves, reactor, etc, etc... Fortunately, things returned to normal this afternoon and the skimmer is back to pulling out funk as usual. 8) I did rinse the ecoBAK as well as soak it in RO/DI overnight to reduce floating to the top of the reactor.

I've ordered some Microbe-Lift Special Blend based on your recommendation in hopes that it will help balance out my bacterial situation and take care of the cyano popping up in the tank. I've been using a "natural and organic" ich cure and its been reeking havoc on my water parameters. Fortunately, it does seem to be helping the fish as well.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress; I'm looking forward to getting my nutrient levels down and enjoying the tank again. :)

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Snake oil is bad for surface tension.

8. Click Here!

9. GraviT

The "snake oil" is Chem Marin Stop Parasite and it has saved many of my tank inhabitants. FWIW, this issue is completely unrelated to my question in this thread.

10. milonedp

milonedp Plankton

Jon, I'm running 2 liters EcoBak on 450g total system water lightly stocked. NO3 is 1.1 got as low as .7 PO4 is .01. Been running the pellets now for just over 12 weeks. I feed good but I wouldn't call it heavy just yet.

I've got about 200 gph going through the reactor and I'm probably running the pellets a little faster than you recommend (trying to get the last of the NO3.)

Should I add more pellets? Increase the tumble even more? Increase the flow through the reactor? Any other thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  11. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

This is another situation where you've hit near-zero on PO4 but still have a little NO3. Are you running GFO or any PO4 reduction? If you are, stop and the ecoBAK bacteria will consume more NO3. Here's what I'd do... ask around for opinions about food that contains a little PO4 .

For example some marine FLAKE FOOD is high in PO4, I know it sounds backwards but if you get your PO4 up a little, your NO3 will drop. So feed some extra flake and watch your numbers.

12. milonedp

milonedp Plankton

Thanks. I was wondering if you might go in that direction. I'm not running GFO or any other PO4 reducer.

So the two litters is enough? If I feed more high PO4 food it should come down the rest of the way?

I had been worried about my PO4 being the limiting factor.