the official ECOBAK thread...

Discussion in 'Warner Marine' started by Jon Warner, Feb 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

I've seen and heard of benefits using Prodibio and Special Blend regarding Cyanobacteria. I'm not familiar with results of using the other products.

2. Click Here!

3. poolkeeper1

poolkeeper1 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

All's Well

Jon, What ever was going on in my tank has passed and my E.B. Pellets are tumbling like normal again and my Po4 is falling back to it's normal range. I guess they were still not fully colonized when they were sticking together?
    Bill
    PS, Thank You!!

4. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

Great News Bill! Whenever there's a bit of a bloom... they do get sticky for a few days.

5. Euler Kernighan

Euler Kernighan Plankton

Starting using EcoBak BioPellets on Cycling Phase

Hi Jon.

First of all thank you for be avaliable to respod all thoses questions. I carefully read each post on this thread and I got one more for you:

current scenario:
    - I'm ready for start a brand new system 475 gallons - 330g tank + 145g sump. I got a combo with 1000ml Ecoback Biopellets + NextReef SRM1 XL + Eheim Compact+ 2000 265 to 528gph + 30 vials of ProdiBio BioDigest.

questions:
    - Should I start using 1000ml EcoBack BioPellets + BioDigest from the day one of my tank instead of go increasing pellets by 1/4 per week until reach 1 liter.
    - how do I calculate the amount of pellets? based on whole system or just the tank?

There's a lot of questions out there regarding the use of pellets on cycling phase but there's no 'definitive' answer.

Thanks in advance!

6. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

Hello,

Sounds like a nice big system. You should be fine with 2 liters of EcoBAK. Many have run ecoBAK from Day 1 and many have started using after 2-4 weeks. I think either approach will work fine, and starting with 1/2 liter in day 1 and allowing it to colonize is probably a great idea. So maybe 1/2 liter every 2 weeks thereafter... if you're using fresh live rock you will see a bit of a bloom, possibly a heavy bloom.
    And I like BioDigest a lot.... especially in more established tanks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Today is day 1 of running ecobak pellets on my 29g reef/10g sump.

I made this diy reactor for about $30 in parts, and it's powered by my return pump. I am beginning with 100ml of pellets and will later add another 100ml. I think this rector could comfortably hold 250-300ml of pellets depending on the output of your pump.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

very clever!! Good Job!!

10. nwfd1725

nwfd1725 Purple Spiny Lobster

I just put my reef octopus br-70 online tonight after soaking the pellets for around 36hrs and my questions are, I soaked to many pellets and was wondering if I let the extras dry can I use them later? Also all my pellets but a few went straight to the top of the reactor will they settle in a day or so down in the reactor? thank you very much for top notch products with great customer follow up.

By the way im using a mj 1200 with a valve to cut back flow and a little over a cup for my 57g with 20g sump holding about 12g of water

11. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

that sounds right. Yes you can dry them to use later and a few will always float at first. And thank you for the kind words! Oh and I think those RO reactors work nicely...

12. nwfd1725

nwfd1725 Purple Spiny Lobster

Thank you for the quick reply they are settled nicely with a little shake of the reactor and seem to be tumbling nicely. I will let them dry out and use them later thank you again... I will update result in 4 to 6 weeks on how everything is doing. Also the reactor seems very well designed and built I am liking it so far lol