The New Koralia Evo 1400 Unboxed

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by tatted4ever, Mar 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Im happy with my purchase.... These are a huge improvement over the originals. Hydor has produced a good product.

For the $$$ and what I can do with them... Im a satisfied consumer

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I must say I am very pleased too. Moving 1400 GPH at only 6 watts power consumption is amazing. I have been watching mine now since I installed them a few weeks ago and have yet to see either one run backwards as some users have reported, maybe mine were more recent and they got them fixed? They are switching at 1 minute intervals on a RKL and never miss a beat and I have not heard so much as a rattle either.

4. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

What is an RKL? Is it a wavemaker?

5. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

RKL/Reef Keeper Lite
    it's a controller from Digital Aquatics

6. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Is a controller the same as a wave maker?

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Yes but with much more expandability. Some wavemakers are different though in that they soft start the powerheads using either DC voltage or modified AC voltage but are normally very expensive.

The controller allows you to add things like temperature, pH, ighting and many other functions at a reasonable priceand you can expand as you grow.

8. Click Here!

9. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks for the write-up. I recently got a RKL, but it wouldn't run with my original K4s. So I bought 2 modded MJ's and hate them, since the flow is a very narrow stream rather than a wide, gentle flow. Ideally I'd get a Vortech MP40, but I don't want to spend $400+.

I'm now considering getting 2 Koralia EV 1050s to replace 2 of my K4s, and hooking them up to the RKL for alternating flow. For those who have these, is the flow wide and gentle, or is it narrow and forceful?

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Nice and dispersed. The 1400 is powerful enough though you can feel current at the opposite end of a 60" tank and it is the first powerhead I have owned that can move my Southdown sand around in the opposite corner. Very powerful.

11. Russter

Russter Flamingo Tongue

I have 2 1050's and 2 #2's on my 90. The 1050's are hooked up to my RKL for 2 min each alternating flow. I think this is a perfect amount of flow for my tank. I had to move some of my softies around to find the right spot for them, but there is a nice wide flow random flow out of these.
    When I first got them, one of them was starting to run backwards, so I wiped the grease off the grommet thingy and applied a little superglue. Have not started backwards since, and Hydor is supposed to ship out a replacement part that fixes this problem.

12. jack102367

jack102367 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

When running a FOWLR is it important to use wavemaking or can you just plug the PH in and let them roar away. I guess it would be good to turn them off during feeding and night time, but other than that is it important to do actual wavemaking?

Thanks!