The Neo Nano Aquarium By Deep Sea Aquatics

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

2. Click Here!

3. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

We have one of these at the store. It is an sps tank and it really is pretty to look down into. I have to maintain it and it has some drawbacks so here goes, the good bad and ugly. I'll start with the ugly:

1) It is rimless, which looks cool but the salt creep is a problem (no rim to catch it) and there are coraline spots on the waterline that have to be scraped every day.

2) The waterfall feature, while it looks cool has to be scraped daily for GHA.

3) You cannot put snails in it. The overflows are too easy for them to get into and when they get in the hoses, they overflow the tank onto the floor.

The Good:

I LOVE the sump! and with the small volume of the tank, the large volume of the sump helps keep the water more stable.

It is a coral growing machine! But they aren't new, we've had ours about 2 years.

The Bad: No jumping fish! I keep two scooter blennies in the one at work to keep the AEFW's at bay.

1 person likes this.
  4. Timberwerks

Timberwerks Plankton

Do you have problems with blowing sand by the return holes at the bottom of the tower? Would clowns be ok in this tank? Do you have any photos?

Thanks

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for the info ssgheislerswife! 8)
    What kind of SPS do you keep in the Neo Nano?
    What lamp fixture?
    What skimmer? Sump Pump?

I 2nd pics! :)

6. ssgheislerswife

The tank is in a restructuring right now (meaning I just ordered some really hot corals to put in there and threw anything that wasn't an sps out, set up a 12g nano for high end lps corals and put all the softies in the 120 display). Did I mention that I maintain 8 tanks at home and 3 display tanks at work????? Right now I have several mutated acros (meaning when they got close enough to touch they started sharing and mutated into a whole new coral), a deep water acro, blue tort, orange monti cap, green monti cap, green encrusting monti, blue and red tort, green mili, panape bird's nest, etc.

Lighting: 250W MH Pendant by Coralife (hung from ceiling)
    HOB Fuge, retrofit to run back into the return waterfall (not pretty but it sells fuges)
    C-Breeze blower to control heat, during the day this tank gets up to 86 degrees without it.
    AquaC Urchin skimmer with a Mag-Drive 350
    Mag-Drive 500 return pump
    Koralia 2 for additional flow (they fit perfectly in between the waterfall and the overflow boxes)

Yes, the return blows the sand out, I just use the rock to disguise and control that.
    No, I wouldn't put a clownfish in it. Again, this isn't a FISH tank it is a CORAL tank and any fish need to be "utility" fish. I put the scooter blennies in because we got some hitchhiker AEFW (Acropora eating flatworms) and the scooters wiped them out.

As for pics, I'm working tomorrow, I'll take some then!

Ginny

7. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

If possible, can you share how you have the sump setup and how do you manage make up water, chiller, and ozone?

8. Click Here!

9. ssgheislerswife

There is an ato, but the reservoir is outside of the stand. The sump has three chambers, the first one (back) overflow hoses going into it, the middle chamber has the live rock, and the front chamber has the Aqua-C Urchin (chosen because of it's size) and the return pump.

No chiller, we have a clamp on fan, and no ozone.

Ginny

10. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

LFS here has had them for over a year they've been out a while, if I remember right their around a thousand bucks with tank, stand, sump, light, and skimmer

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Not bad. Marine Depot had the tank,stand and sump right now for $599 with free shipping.

WoW great post - thanks for the info! :eek: 8)

Yours is tricked out... I can't wait to see pics.

Do you think the 250w halide is the way to go with this tank or would a 150w work since it's only a 34 gallon and shallow?

12. ssgheislerswife

It's shallow, but if you clamp on a 150w, because of the back glass, it is too high up. I like the 250W. I'll try and take some pics if the store isn't swamped tomorrow, if not it'll be Monday (aka, closed for tank maintenance day).