The Life Cycle Of Marine Ich.

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Corailline, Oct 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Big bummer :angry:

I am confident that you will pull him through again.

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

But each time scars the gill filaments decreasing the odds he'll live a good ole 20 years.

:-(

Out with the Beta Glucan. I haven't fed it to him since the move.... mainly because I don't know which box it's in O.O

4. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Heres my out look on things....

1. To me you can lower the SG fast with out any problems, its raising it fast that will kill fish

2. almost every tank has ich it in....

3. i have found that when dealing with ich, the best way (imo) is leave the fish be in the tank. Every time i try to take the infected fish out, it ends up dieing and i stress out the tank....i have found feeding heavy, water changes and garlic and leaving the fish in the tank works best(never lost a fish to ich when leaving it in and doing what i stated above)

just my .02 :)

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

While I appreciate your contibutation.

I think that not using a cycled QT or doing the hard work on keeping a uncycled QT's parameters within range is the down fall to this particular treatment choice.

And I do believe supplements to the diet of fish serves a very important purpose.

But I have seen too many threads on here where the op was advised againist treatment and ended up with dead fish, on a most recent thread.

When people advocate this as the sole treatment they also need to supply some links or research to back it up. That is all I am asking.

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Ich is the number one most common cause of identifiable fish deaths in home aquariums.

I've both treated and ignored Ich. I was lucky with 3 fish with not treating in a hospital tank. I've been unlucky with many others over the years by ignoring it and just changing diet. It really depends on if you can identify the stressor or not (if there is one even present). Not identifying the correct stressor will drasically change the odds of the "Ignore" method being successful.

This case of Ich has me puzzled but I'll probably totally confuse the issue if I discuss it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010