The Life Cycle Of Marine Ich.

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Corailline, Oct 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Thank you for the positive response, it is much appreciated. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I have questions - hope you dont mind

Hyposalinity - many years ago SG of 1.018 was the target , but I have noted on a number of web sites that indicate 1.016 is the new target

whats your opinion on this? what do you believe is the target for hypo treatment water

2nd
    again on Hypo - lowering the SG from a typical 1.024 to a target at 1.016 would take 8 days, if you follow the dont reduce by more than .001 degree in any 24 hour period
    if ich is noticed to late, severe infection, is it probable that the fish would lose the fight against the infection before you had achieved the target for hypo?

would it be an accurate assesment to say that for Ich spotted in early stages, Hypo is a valid option, but of its spotted after a major outbreak (fish fell in pepperpot scenario) would a copper based treatment then be the better option?

Steve

4. Corailline

Morning ;D

The target SG for hyposalinity is considered by many to be 1.010, anything above 1.013 is not effective, some even go as low as 1.009. Suggested time range is 36 -48. With the longer range for fish like angels as they seem more sensitive. Some very experienced hobbyist drop the SG more quickly, because they are looking to osmolaity shock as being more effective. But that should only be undertaken by an individual that has done it before.

IMO treatment choices are also influenced by the type of fish infected. For instance I think clowns and tangs should probably be treated with copper if they are symptomatic. And treated with copper if you are quarantining the fish prior to introduction to the display. And fish types like for instance royal grammas would probably be able to hold their own until the hyposalinity goal is achieved.

Generally if the fish looks like it is going to make it through the Trophant stage I would go with hyposalinity, if not copper.

Since many people do not have a QT, and those individuals are experiencing repeated outbreaks, I would go the hyposalinity route. After all corals and inverts have been removed from the system.

Just want to add that treatment with copper should never be used when treating with hyposalinity.

;D

1 person likes this.
  5. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the great post. My powder brown has it and has had it for about 2 weeks. It isn't very bad, so I am hoping that he just rides it out.

6. Corailline

Thank you for the kind words.

If you do not mind could you post a picture of your tang on this thread. Having pictures of ich is a great resource for those unsure of if their fish has ich.

;D

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thanks for the reply Corailline - good evening where I am.

when you say 36 - 48 hours, do you mean the time taken to acclimatise the fish from its present 1.025

and would that be the same in reverse ? could you then increase the SG back from 1.010 to 1.025 within 48 hours?

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

;d;d

10. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

just sharing my Hippo-Tang while he had Ich outbreak. (i had these on another post, but thought here where they belong)

1.jpg

2.jpg

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

How To Treat an Aquarium with Hyposalinity

Lowering the SG quickly is the key to immediate relief from the parasites, as they will literally explode. I've done it this way and have never hurt any fish.

When done, I raise specific gravity by no more than .002 per day so it takes just over a week to get it back up to around 1.025.

12. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

And my lion above has ich again for the 4th time! I was waiting for it.... we never treated it last time and thought the move might be enough stress for it to come again.... and there it is.