The LED Solaris Lamp PAR Comparison by PFO

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

As quoted, PFO states that the LEDs in their SOLARIS will last 50,000 hours. Quite a bit longer than halides!

As for the cube aquarium used, they were not ZeroEdge, but something close to 2 x 2 x 2.

2. Click Here!

3. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

Right, they will last 50,000 hours. Now how long will they old their intensity and spectrum? 50,000 hours is almost 11.5 years if you run the lights for 12 hours everyday. PFO hasn't had this fixture out or tested it long enough to determine that it will keep its intensity for 50,000 hours.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I have personal experience with this product. Both as a user and a dealer. I consider this product nothing short of amazing.

5. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

leds need to be replaced.. but every 11 years...

not 12 months.. just 132 months..

as they will loose only 30% of intensity after it.. like MH and T5 will in only 8 months.. ;)

6. YellowBelly

PFO can only assume they will hold their intensity that long. Blue wavelength LED's weren't perfected until 1993 and white LED's until 1996. PFO would've had to do some quick research and studies to figure out that these bulbs need to be replaced every 11.5 years, otherwise it's just a guess.

7. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

they should use Philips leds.. so philips certify the lasting time.. not PFO..

and philips spoken about 50.000 hours on their luxeons HO leds.. like osram on the dragon..

a common led last 100-150.000 hours.. this HO leds only 50.000 and some only 25.000 (the 10W leds..)

so.. there is no history about this.. as the leds using now are "brand new" .. just only 1 year of life.. but i can trust them.. if not overheated they will last 50.000 hours as a led has nearly nothing that can breakdown..

8. Click Here!

9. YellowBelly

For now it's cheaper to retrofit your own LED's. Buy the LED's and hook up the blues and the whites on separate dimmers and you have yourself a LED light for half the price.

10. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

surely..

i did it 5 years ago for my 1 liter nano ::)

just hard to find here in italy the HighOutput leds :angry:

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Interesting debate, but what do you all think of the PAR comparison to halides? Does that surprise you?

Cool. What size aquariums do you have the light over? Do you have SPS in the aquarium? Where? Thanks for jumping in inwall. :)

12. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

some pic about the tank with the PFO light ?
    tnx :D