The Great LED Debate

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by Reef Breeders, Aug 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

This statement carries no weight because, you can't prove that. There is no data nor experiments out there to suggest this as fact. You don't even know the difference between a good MH system and a mediocre one. That seems to be the problem as I suggested earlier.

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

What is the issue with LED in your opinion. I imagine it has nothing to do with par or electricity consumption or even cost because people at our level of the hobby really get to a point where they could care less. It's about results in coral health, color and growth.

4. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

I cant prove it!? Do I have to drive over there with a par meter and some LEDs to prove my point? LOL this debate is pretty much dead, believe what you want, but I know LEDs can out do mh any day, and will continue to do so on my tanks, and on others tanks. There is nothing you can say or do to change my opinion, or prove that I am wrong. I have seen the potential of LEDs, just because I didn't care for mh doesnt mean I am wrong. I have seen many local tanks using the best of the best for mh bulbs, I told you that. And LEDs still won, I have an obviously successful reef tank, as do others with the right LED systems. Are they wrong too? Sanjay did a lot of good research, but he is only human. Another person with a doctorate could do the same research, and prefer LEDs to mh. The research of one guy is not the defenite answer, no matter how you put it.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

the reason why JF, Tyree, Sanjay and other use halides is because they wrok for them. They have products that require uniformity and that uniformity funds their lives. I wouldn't switch either at that point. We know different light wavelengths affect coral colors and pigments, and if you advertise a certain morph, better not risk that morph or you might have to restart your brand.

Honestly (to throw into the *&$$ing contest) The best example of the halide/LED debat is the Vivid Aquariums display tank featuring half the tank 20k Radiums, and half EcoTech Radions.

*SPOILER*

They both grow coral well. As for appearance, some SPS look better on the LED side, some species on the halide side. One thing The owner of Vivid said is that its nice to not replace the dozen or so halide bulbs every 6-9 months. Also, energy cost are not insignificant at that level of operation.

6. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I guess I dont see what the problem is with LED's other than the fact that the spectrum is lacking in some systems, like mine...i just have some plain old sol blues. But with the new leds and led systems coming out that are making up for that fact you can get past that point pretty quickly, for example ai vega or a custom build, among others.

Now i know someone will come and say that led spectrum it is still lacking compared to a quality MH bulb or a quality t5 with ati bulbs, and I get that. But does that one little difference in spectrum make it worth the extra cost in operating the fixture and bulb replacements?

EDIT: also, good point by ingtar_shinowa

7. Reef Breeders

I think you hit the nail on the head, the big coral companies use mh for consistency, why do they care when they are selling frags for $1500 an eye, at that point, power use is not important.

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Cool!!! I like turtles......
    That pretty much sums up how much I know about LED's.;D
    In all seriousness though I have learned alot here today so thanks guys.8)

11. Reef Breeders

12. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Based on your “vast” experience on the performance of MH?

Which is why I questioned you willingness to learn. If you want a good comparison. Purchase the following: SLS Galaxy Select-a-Watt ballast 150w – 250w, SLS Lumenmax Elite, and a 175 watt Iwasaki 14K or 150 watt Iwasaki 20K.

If you can double the performance (output, spread, and spectrum) of this lighting combination with your LED fixture, I will be impressed and you will have proven your earlier statement as true. I actually think you might be able to equal it maybe even slightly surpass it if lucky. But you certainly won’t even come close to doubling it. This way you can lay down some facts!
    In case you missed it bulbs are one of three factors in making a great MH system. I actually feel that they are far less important than the proper reflector choice.
    Unfortunatly i am very critical when it comes to judging a tanks success. I have been offered to be Reef Central's tank of the month 2 times and turned it down twice because I was not 100% pleased with my tank.
    And you beleive in "magic" as a valid form of science!