The Great LED Debate

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by Reef Breeders, Aug 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Who is Alex and where did he get this info from. I always love hearing how these rumors get started.

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I love my Radions, but the glaring hole in the fixture is the violet spectrum's absence. I suspect at macna they debut their new pucks with a couple violets.

4. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I get not wanting to do all the wiring. Mine doesn't look very good either. That being said with how quickly the technology is coming out you almost need too to have the top unit. Saying you don't want to do a diy unit is a choice anyone can make but it is akin to not using the best or newest MH technology. With my unit I can dim the lights in each driver I have, change Which colors are grouped together and even upgrade to new LEDs as thu come out with little cost. Not to mention adding more LEDs and the color mix choices that come with that.

I would like to see the razor and like the radion but nothing keeps up with the customization and technology like The diy units right now

5. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

I agree 110%, I wish we could add violets to our cree fixtures too, but no luck. Right now diy is on of the best options.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

g carrroll, I agree with tom.n.day on this. The new DIY led kits are exrremely basic and versatile, not much more to them than literally plugging in wires and attaching stickers. And you, as mentioned numerous times, can adjust the power and color pretty much instantly.

I think there is very little doubt about how well a MH will grow coral, thats proven and not debatable, but I honestly think that it isn't debatable with leds anymore either. Its just what kinda geek you choose to be:) Star trek, star wars, apple, PC, Me myself, I love not having to order bulbs, and hear the oohs and ahhhs as I make my corals glow when I shut the whites down;)

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Why can't you add violets to your Cree's systems?

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

It comes down to the solder patterns, bridgelux leds will not fit the cree footprint, and the manufacturer will not change the boards. That is why we are designing the supernova.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

that is one advantage bridgelux has, the ability for all their colors to run at that same power.

11. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Not really but I get where you are coming from. Problem is you cannot DIY a MH or T5 system that can come close to the top shelf reflectors and fixtures that are computer designed to maximize output. Look, if you want the best light just put your tank outside. You almost sound like one of those guys that build their own computer and I'm one that just buys a Mac.

As for the Maxspect I like it because Maxspect always builds their fixtures as modulars so you can replace and upgrade individual LEDs in the future as they become available.

1 person likes this.
  12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

As I type on my macbook, I appreciate that gcarroll, but I think you need to look at what led's do these days. and how easy a DIY is. I still agree that MH is pretty badass when it comes to looks, but the downfalls are too much for me and the upside of leds win. If I had a SPS dominate frag making tank, I'd prob side with you. But for your average reef tank owner not growing an award winning tank, I'd say leds win hands down, less work;)