The GPH Magic of the Hydrowizard Pumps

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I never thought I would want to spend $650 dollars on an aquarium powerhead. Even worse, spend thousands on a bigger aquarium to hold a $650 powerhead. But these are the thoughts that occur after seeing a Panta Rhei Hydrowizard pump first hand. Exactly when it started I am not sure. Perhaps it was when I placed my arm in the large display tank and felt the laminar flow across the length of the aquarium. Or when I placed my hand on the pump and realized the intake was diffused and fish-safe. It didn't make sense. The numbers are equally confounding. 5000 GPH at 26 watts - 15000 GPH at 120 watts - 50000 GPH at 348 watts? Seriously? How can this be? The Hydrowizard confused, defied and triumphed. Is it the SIC ceramic bearings? The carbon fiber reinforced plastics? It doesn't matter. I am saving my money now. Details below.

[​IMG]
    Model ECM42

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Hydrowizard can simulate any number of currents and waves through its electronic controller. Short impulses are used to generate waves, slow changes in current can simulate tides, or very slow changes could simulate seasons of high and low water. Of course the pump can also generate a constant stream.

[​IMG]

The pump has been programmed to self clean the impeller from built up debris. In Current Mode, the impeller will stop after one hour, spin backwards several times and return to the previously programmed output. In wave mode the impeller will spin backwards every fifty waves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rivers and ocean in the world produce tremendous currents, but the water is pushed directionally, without turbulence. Fish and other aquatic animals have evolved to swim in this laminar current, often with little effort. A conventional pump produces a turbulent circular current, which pushes on the sides of an animal swimming into it, spinning its body around. Swimming in such currents is difficult for the animal and can be stressful if there are not enough areas of calm water in the aquarium.

[​IMG]
    ECM75 50000 GPH

The Hydrowizard’s laminar current allows even small fish to swim in the center of the flow, as their streamlined shape allows them to stay in the flow with little effort. This fundamental difference in the form of the water flow produces an enormous change in an artificial environment. Within little time the animals will get used to the more natural flow of water and display more natural behavior, increased activity, improved appetites, reduced aggression and better overall health.

3 Models
    ECM75 50000 GPH 348w
    ECM63 15000 GPH 120w
    ECM42 5000 GPH 26w $650

Coming Soon.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Pricey but very interesting!!Great review Matt.

Matt Rogers likes this.
  4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Nice, I like to see it in action, but it sure does sound cool!! The cool stuff is always so $$$$

I really like the self-cleaning mode of spinning backwards. Now that's thinking ahead!!

OT, but I wonder if a jeabo could be setup this way, with the backwards spinning to clean up the magnet. It would have to be a custom program for sure, but it got me thinking...

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks all. I like the self-cleaning mode too. Curious how that works out.

Here is a video of a big tank with Hydrowizards in action:

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Holy flow Batman!

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Seems starting in reverse is the "in" thing now. lol Wait until Koralia hears.
    Is any of that proven?

8. Click Here!

9. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Wow cool!!... Why do you keep reviewing awesome toys I can't afford ha ha ;)

Matt Rogers likes this.
  10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's what happens when you go to these shows. :p