The Fish Postbox in Kawasaki, Japan

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, May 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

This is no ordinary postbox, it is 12 feet wide and 21 feet long - and it is full of water and exotic fish. Mitsuaki Yamasaki established the "fish postbox" in 2005 near the the Tama river in Kawasaki, Japan. Its purpose is to allow people who do not want their aquarium fish anymore to put them in Yamasaki's postbox instead of the Tama river which has been called the "Tamazaon" by locals. The Tama is brimming with piranhas, angelfish, arrowanas and even garpikes. Yamasaki has caught over 200 species of foreign fish in the Tama. How successful is his fish postbox? It receives an average of 10,000 fish a year. The fish go to postbox members or local schools.

[​IMG]
    Mitsuaki Yamasaki - Credit: Mainichi

Source and a great read:
    Tokyo's 'Tamazon' river sees flood of discarded tropical fish - The Mainichi Daily News

Last edited: May 25, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ChrisBs

ChrisBs Purple Spiny Lobster

there is no photos still cool though k+

4. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

thats a great idea. they should have one of those on each coast of the USA too for the people that like to throw their fish back...

1 person likes this.
  5. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

i like this idea, but i would like it better if it were in my backyard so i can pick out some awesome FREE fish ;)

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That really is a great idea. They need a python/boa post box in Florida :lol:

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I think it is cool too, but I can't believe it gets 10,000 fish a year. I had to check the article again to make sure I didn't make a typo. That blows my mind.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Cool idea, 10000 fish per year in one river makes you wonder how many worldwide.

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I just watched a show on DC(?) about the problem they are having down there with the 'pet snakes'. One ate some old womans cat. The estimate on the feral population was insane.

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

This is a great idea and wish it would catch on here as well. Not just on the coasts either. Even here in SD we get wierd fish in public ponds. At a park pond in Vermillion I personally caught an Oscar while fishing the weeds for Sunny's and 'gills. Last summer an 18" Red Belly Pirhana was caught by a kid fishing a youth pond in Yankton.

12. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Thats just terrifying. makes me not want to trust the water..