the cove

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Dingo, Sep 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

It's going on 5+ years.

I apologize to Dingo for this thread going off topic..

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I found this movie browsing on netflix tonight and all I have to say is wow. I'm not a documentary person but this one was extremely well done IMO. It was truly an eye opener. The fact that the Japanese gov't is knowingly feeding kids toxic meat is appalling to me, not to mention everything else in the movie.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

completely agreed! and i didnt know they had it on netflix! Was it offered as instant? im going to go download it now :)

5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Yeah, it was a watch instantly. I was surprised considering it hasn't been out long.

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but can anyone believe that the Japanese were calling the dolphins pests and blaming them for the decline of fish and that was their justification for the killings!

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Cro magnon fought with neandertals, and were likely just as brutal in killing their competition. That's usually what happens when there's competition: one species wins, and another loses.

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Just my perspective on this matter

I was born and lived 30 plus years in the UK - and there was a list of animals you ate, a list that where kept as pets, a list that where neither but where great to look at or fascinating in some way and a list of animals considered to gross to fit in either of the 3 previous categories

I have lived the previous 12 years to date of my life in China
    there are no such lists here
    if its edible- it will be eaten by someone.
    yes there are people with pet dogs, cats etc now- dont think that was the case a decade ago to be honest

Dolphins eat fish - Japanese people amongst others eat fish - hence the Dolphin is competition and as such is a pest - just as a Rabbit is a pest to a crop farmer
    or a fox is a pest to a poultry farmer

Ethical and or morale values, change according to a persons culture

I have never been, and never will visit a Bull fight, or a cock fight, or a dog fight or a fox hunt
    those things occur in Western culture they are sporting activities with what many people consider an unacceptable level of cruelty - they dont appeal to me

every culture will have its faults in the eyes of another culture

I know one thing for certain

If a Japanese person invited me to his/ her home, for dinner and they where serving Dolphin I would do 2 things

Say thank you
    eat the large fish

Steve