the cove

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Dingo, Sep 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TriggersRule

TriggersRule Feather Duster

I think something that has been missed here is that fact that the killing of the dolphins has a dramatic effect on the already fragile marine ecosystem, which is vital to our existence on this planet. The killing of cows, chickens, pigs, etc does not effect any vital ecosystem as far as I know since these animals are born and bred to slaughter unlike dolphins which I'm pretty sure can not be farmed in the manner that we do our primary protein sources here in the US.

2. Click Here!

3. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Agreed and well said.

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Ok I'm going to get it for this but....
    Chickens and cows are purposely bred for our consumption. As cruel as that may sound.
    I myself have killed chickens by getting them by the head and twisting their neck. Sometimes they would fall of my hand headless and run around the place. ( kinda creepy)

IMO There is just no comparison...

Yes I am saying that the life of a chicken can't be compared or equalized to the life of a dolphin.
    Yes, maybe there can be a more humane way to kill an animal such as a chicken. But even if there wasn't, I would still eat my chicken wings and my chicken mc nuggets!

Killing dolphins for food is just plainly wrong..
    It's like going on and killing my pet dog or cat.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

yes, they are bred for consumption. I think that's was messed up about it. Yes, that's how it is. They live so we can eat them. What the heck? and fed hormones so they will produce better meat. That's not messed up...

Dogs are actually eaten as food in some countries too..

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

If they are fed hormones for better food quality then that's good. If they are going to kill it anyways they might as well make it to be good quality.
    Like I said, I use to kill and eat my own chikens, and they tasted amazingly good.
    Ofcourse they did have a rather normal life before being killed. Unlike a factory.
    Still it is necessary for the populations well being.

Killing dolphines doesn't help a population grow or have a constant food source. It just pleases people who think it's a delicacy.. Which I find pretty gross.

It's just the way I see it I guess..

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I'm not trying to get "the last word" or say you are wrong...just explaining myself, as to why I feel so strongly about this.

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Farmed animals sound good on paper and in theory, but it's not the farms we all went to on field trips. Their lives absolutely suck.

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Do you think that corals consider whether their algae are being mistreated when they get booted for being too effective at making food? How about when a cheetah catches an antelope, and rips it limb from limb?

The issue isn't whether they're killed. The fact is, in the wild, things live and die, usually in a horrible fashion. A gorilla wouldn't hesitate to beat the living bejesus out of you, swinging you around into trees like a stick to kill you, if it were hungry and thought you were a viable food source.

BTW, if you say we can just eat vegetables, we really can't. We lost our appendix via evolution for a reason. We're built to eat a substantial portion of meat, not a full diet of vegetables. The appendix used to be an area for processing cellulose, which we can no longer metabolize in large quantities. It takes a whole lot of salad to feed something as big as a person, and we don't have that feature anymore.

It literally isn't an option at this point, thanks to evolution, to go eat veggies. Long term vegetarians are sickly looking, with nearly no body fat, and an odd hue to their skin, for a reason. They don't look anywhere near the way a standard, wild human would look, which should be your baseline. Again, look at the gorilla for a ballpark estimation. Huge amounts of muscle, and a good amount of fat to fill in the spaces. Vegetarians tend to have neither going for them. They don't look like an average American, either; we're a bit too fat.

Chickens and cows aren't mass produced for our enjoyment. They're mass produces for our survival. The issue is that we have the power to provide them with a life where they're not cramped into either a tiny cage, or thousands into a small barn, and how we kill them. We can also do it in a sustainable way, rather than killing large numbers without regard for the environment. That's what separates us from animals, not whether we eat meat or vegetables.

1 person likes this.
  11. Kovu

Kovu Fire Worm

I think the big difference here is that almost everybody has ate chicken or beef in their life but not whale,or dolphin so its hard for us to understand what its like for them. Really the only people can really put the blame on the whalers or whoever else are vegetarians.

12. Nick

Nick Bristle Worm

Hey guys I'm just joining this thread for the first time and only read the last page so if I rehash something I apologize! I just watched the cove Friday night. I was alarmed as many others were I am sure. I tried to be logical in that if people really were eating dolphins was it really that bad? I mean do you see the vast numbers of tuna fish (or any other fish) caught by commercialized fishing? The single fact is most citizens of that country don't agree with eating dolphin and furthermore it's toxic. Animal rights aside (and I do agree with some of them) in my opinion lets first focus on human rights. People in these countries are eating meat sold as one thing and it's actually mercury toxic dolphin. That's my first issue.

Secondly, I do think the killing of the dolphins is sub standard. (The term inhumane applied to animals always amuses me) But this part of the world hasn't evolved the same standards of ethical treatment as the west has. I think it's unfair to require them to adhere to our standards and just get it. They have been doing this for generations and view dolphins as any other fish. I think we (westerners) should educate first and foremost. This is where most activist activities fail.

Finally, I think it's ok to eat any animal. It's food. It's our attachments to specific animals that makes it odd to us; that and the cultural norms that stem from it. ie, in the US it's not ok to eat Dog but in some parts of the world its natural and I don't think it's fair to judge them. This may or may not apply to dolphin. Again it's misleading and toxic...But that aside if it was healthy would it be okay to eat? What makes eating one fish ok and the next not? I don't have an answer to this. Perhaps it is because they are so smart and self aware...

As for the chicken farms discussed at the top of this page; I personally only eat free range eggs for instance, when possible. I don't agree with the treatment or most importantly the additives (hormones) given to chickens or cows. (the veal industry is appalling) Food inc. fixed that for me! But again, I'm not going to stop eating chicken either.
    Cheers,