The Another Yangtze River Victim: the Chinese paddlefish

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

My guts were wrenched during the building of the Three Gorges Dam that flooded part of the Yangtze river and changed it forever. The Yangtze was home to not only the mysterious Chinese Paddlefish, but freshwater dolphins and thousands of archaeological sites. Not to mention the dam displaced millions of people. :p

Here is more about the Chinese Paddlefish, read full story here:
    The Yangtze River may have lost another inhabitant: the Chinese paddlefish

[FONT=verdana,sans-serif,arial]As reported by the BBC last month, a three year quest to find the Chinese paddlefish has revealed not one sighting. The story is remarkably similar to that of December 2006 when a six week expedition failed to find any sign of the baiji.

Reaching a staggering seven meters, the Chinese paddlefish is one of the largest freshwater fish in the world. So little is known about the species that biologists aren't even certain it can properly be referred to as 'freshwater', since the fish may cross between the freshwaters of the Yangtze River to oceanic environments. But no one knows for sure.

[​IMG]
    The muddy upper Yangtze in northwestern Yunnan. Photo by: Rhett A. Butler.
    The expedition to find the Chinese paddlefish deployed over 4000 setline and over 900 nets, but couldn't find a single giant fish
    [/FONT]

2. Click Here!

3. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

man i hope it isnt really extinct.

4. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

I think I just saw this on "Hooked" a few days ago.

I can't remember if they caught one- or they showed you one in captivity..

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Pretty sure he caught one, or was the River Monsters? Which one is the Brit cathing large fish?