The Acro Thread

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Va Reef, Jul 15, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You're going to need a bigger tank. :rolleyes2: I have thought about the Miyagi, uggg no room. I really want another Cali Tort, or Oregon, oh well.

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Both of my oregons are getting green in them...and both I can actually trace the lineage to true Oregon. Not sure why this is happening but it's a bit annoying.

Also slightly unrelated, here is my abro frag that survived the move and all the other stuff that actually killed some of my other frags. This was from a dying wild colony. It was bleach white when I got it.

Attached Files:

4. Corailline

Love the acropora abrotanoides, it needs more flow than I will eventually end up. They are not easy, like Spath, require wicked flow and lighting.

Yours has great color.

You're making me jealous Va.

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

It's getting there. No red, indicating growth, yet, but green is better than white and receding.

I'd venture to say they're one of the hardest acros to keep. There is little success rate long term and they're very hard to frag, making it hard to encourage aquaculturing.

It's a learning process with this piece but I feel if it's made it through this (yes there are a few spots of old Stn) then hopefully I'm in the clear. Id love to see some growth. It got color back, it puts out polyps, but no growth yet. Maybe MORE flow and light?

I appreciate the compliment, it means a lot coming from another acroholic.

Corailline likes this.
  6. Corailline

Any of the Digitate Acropora types are reef crest found, they are getting hammered by light and wave and surge action. They start to STN around the base from lack of flow and shading because the growth structure is so compact. Placement is hard because not all acopora want those same conditions, tanks are too small for every acro to be happy with it's real estate lot.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Abros are a stag horn though, which makes it even more tough because if I put it at the top (just glued it .5" from the surface) it's growth form will not be able to go far, as opposed to a true digitate acro with is more of a table and doesn't need so much vertical height. I've found that there are a few species which surprisingly like reef crest conditions, such as loripes, microlados, and tenius. I will say secale as one that hates high flow and light.

I'm ready to just end the frustration and buy a 10' x 10' slot on a reef.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

They might be, when I think digitata I think, blunt, tight growth structure, they are dense.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Oh no doubt. Spaths, prostratas, milles and similar all do much better with high light and flow. I love all acros though :)

11. Corailline

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I just love the red tip with green base stag growth. Very similar to acropora robusta. Both are super hard to find and harder to keep. Dan rigle has a blue abro, probably the only one successfully kept in a tank.