The $3500 Pet Tax Credit - Are You Happy?

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

This would a very nice bill to get passed!!

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I don't think most salt water fish would count as "domesticated." The tank bred/raised ones might, but the majority are taken from the ocean, so they would be wild animals. I it would like capturing a tiger and taking care of it at your house. It's a wild animal in a captive setting.

4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

So, what you're saying is that if I have one tank bred ocellaris clown, like I do now, that it would qualify me. Therefore, any expenses in my tank could then be considered going towards that fish and would count as a tax deduction?

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

First the bill needs to pass, then you have to confirm that the tank bred fish counts as domesticated, then potentially yes.

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Yeah, I know it still needs to pass and all, but if that's what it takes to be considered domesticated, then I'm covered.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

ok... so I looked up the definition of 'domesticated'

<table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dnindex" width="35">1.</td> <td>to convert (animals, plants, etc.) to domestic uses; tame.</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex" width="35">2.</td> <td>to tame (an animal), esp. by generations of breeding, to live in close association with human beings as a pet or work animal and usually creating a dependency so that the animal loses its ability to live in the wild.</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dnindex" width="35">3.</td> <td>to adapt (a plant) so as to be cultivated by and beneficial to human beings.</td></tr></tbody></table>
    So this is debatable, I am sure... but I don't believe you can "tame" a fish... even in several generations... I do not believe tank raised clowns lose their ability to live in the wild (????)

The only possibility i see in this definition is "live in close association with human beings as a pet".

8. Click Here!

9. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

i loved schoolhouse rock!!

10. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

^ Conjuction junction, what's your function...

Gah. That stuff was some gooooood television. :D

Both of our mantis take food from my hand. That's tame, right? ;D

11. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Somehow I doubt wild caught fish would be counted as domesticated. Tank raised, maybe, but most salt fish aren't bred in captivity. Also somehow I doubt writing off 3,500 worth of expenses towards a $30 fish would fly very well.

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

well i guess that all depends on how GOOD your accountant is ;)