That's one dead anemone...

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Brandon1023, May 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tupps11

Tupps11 Astrea Snail

Wow, you guys make it sound really difficult to keep an anemone alive. Both my filters suck water through tubing that can easily be reached by any creature in the tank. My powerhead is suction cupped to the glass a bit higher, but i dunno if anemones can climb glass?

Im beginning to change my mind about getting one.

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Anemone's will move around many times quite frequently until they come to a place that suits them. And yes they can climb up glass or any other thing in your tank including corals.
    Once you get one established and it is happy, they are very easy to take care of. I really do nothing to my small tank except for the weekly 5%water change. My anemone has been in the same place for a few months now and is doing very well.

4. Tupps11

Tupps11 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the feedback. Im gonna take my time with this one i guess. Maybe a couple months so i can get it right the first time.

5. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

We have had a green BTA in our tank for the last 4 months. It moved originally to the underneath side of a rock bridge. We did not like it there as it was hard to feed and see. So, I encouraged it to move by rotating the rock. It promptly moved to the underneath side of another bridge. As you see, I run only 4 T5s, and the BTA prefers the shade.....

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

One way in which you can be sure that your anemone won't get sucked up in a powerhead etc. is to put a large cartridge or foam material over the pump intake, powerhead or submersible pump to diffuse the water over a larger surface area to protect the anemone from getting sucked in.

7. Tupps11

Tupps11 Astrea Snail

Excellent suggestion. Would you happen to have a picture of such an installation?

8. Click Here!

9. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

I am beginning to have second thoughts about getting an anemone after reading some of of these posts. I do want to give my clowns something to host in. Is it likely they will actually host in a frogspawn or some type of coral that looks like an anemone?

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yes, most likely they will :)

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yes they will! I have a Cinnamon Clown that hosts a Squamosa Tridacna clam and Xenia. I have seen them at pet shops in Torch coral.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

And I have a pair that nests in a gigas clam. Silly little fish! :)