Thank you for your patience with site refinements

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I learned a long time ago to check my ego when it comes to web design and my best designs are often after a lot of feedback and polish.

In hindsight, I see now that these skins are really raw still and should have been polished more.

But hindsight is 20/20 and at some point, you have to shove things out the door and let them get hammered and get feedback.

I've been working on this redesign with the majority of my free time off and on for the past six months. If I did not get this out soon I would have lost some new sponsors and frankly gone insane. I have a cool new aquarium without water, hygiene issues and I am not sleeping much.

It was very difficult to add some of these over-the-top features and get the whole house of cards to be fairly stable and get the whole thing online without crashing and losing stuff.

Next to that, styling - although an art form I respect - is a lot easier thing to deal with.

I have already added a bunch of important links and made other changes based on your feedback. I will continue to do so and I am confident within a few weeks or less this site will have moved forward in the right direction.

Thank you for your patience and I do appreciate all the feedback - positive and negative. I can take it and make something better from it.

Sincerely,

matt

please continue to report bugs here:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/3reef-forum-news-information/new-site-bug-thread-78976.html

And I will make daily updates via announcements.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I understand feedback is greatly appreciated, But IMO, the site wouldnt be anything without you, nor here for the matter of fact. This by far is the best community for aquariums that I could find, Friendly, knowledgeable and what not.

Kudos to you Matt! Keep up the good work. I used to own an online RPG and I know how demanding people can be at times. +k!

1 person likes this.
  4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

The site obviously went through a huge transformation in a very short amount a of time. I for one am amazed at the mere fact that it's up and working. There's always going to be some bugs and things to refine, but that's what makes web design so adaptive and exciting IMO. You can revise and upload all day long and it will only get better. You don't find second chances like that often when designing a widely used interactive product for the public.

1 person likes this.
  5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

All I read in that post was Matt had a new Aquarium!!!!!!

That's amazing I can't believe it. Stop writing code and get that puppy full of coral!

J

1 person likes this.
  6. divott

divott Giant Squid

does anything new ever go off without bugs\flaws? the secret to it all, and what ive been noticing , is they get rectified and or improved. i\we all really appreciate all the hard work and dedication.

guy

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Matt,

Doing upgrades is a challenge to say the least. The new search engine works great and people will get used to the changes. There's a couple of people who are so against change that they say they are leaving. Well, don't take that to heart. I know how much work you do to keep 3Reef running and I suspect most other members do too.

Kudo's Matt!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

+1, and :2thumbsup

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Thanks for everything you do to keep this site running

11. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

12. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

love the new site. lol when i came here it looked so different i was like, i must have typed in the wrong site lol. i like it more. everyone just has to get used to it now. thanks for having a great site and getting even greater sponsors! we aprecciate you matt!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.