Thank you DOWTISH - Cyano Help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by chumslickjon, Dec 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

LOL yeah it's pretty rough. I put mine in and came home 8 hours later from work and couldn't really smell it anymore, so I think you'll be okay by morning

2. Click Here!

3. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

I hope everyone had a great holiday season.
    So it's probably been about 3 weeks since I last dosed the special blend, I got real busy with stuff and just kept forgetting to bring it with me to work, "this is a small tank in my office with the cyano issue". Anyway, cyano really started to come back this week and I began my dosing again. I'm confidant that it'll subside again as long as I keep on track. This bottle now stays in that tanks cabinet for easy reach. I'll also try turning off my skimmer as was suggested in this thread earlier.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

UMMM! This stuff doesn't stink, that's way too nice of a description! It smells like Satan's poo covered in burnt hair with a rotten animal on top! But it does work, my cyano was growing kinda fast! Still have a little in the fuge but the DT is almost all but gone! Worth the smell but def keep your nose away and dose when you're gonna leave for a few!

5. chumslickjon

I made the mistake and put my nose to the bottle once. :O

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol! me too! That smell stuck for awhile! Precautions wll be made next dose!

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I dont want to be the big white elephant in the room but, I kinda have an issue with putting something this noxious in my aquarium. I mean, I have always been a believer in fixing the problem and not putting a temporary bandaid on it. To me this is a bandaid covering a gaping wound. Im sure this stuff works. But so does proper water changes, feeding less, good/new lights, etc etc etc. It makes me question why an aquarium would not have the proper bacteria levels to begin with. I too have had my battles with cyno including one I am waging now (in my sump). But I have always beat the cyno with water changes, manual removal, and new lights over the sump. No special blend stuff here. Im just sayin.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah, but if ya can add an all natural boost to help cover your little imperfections we all have, and also help your livestock lead better lives, and its cheap as heck,,,,,, why not?

1 person likes this.
  10. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

that's sorta how I felt about it. I realize theres many causes for cyano, so while you're trying to correct all of them a little extra bacteria can't hurt. It's gotta be a heck of a lot better than using chemicals that kill good bacteria as well as the cyano

From what I've learned and off the top of my head the other things to look into are:

Excess nutrients
    High phosphates
    Low Flow
    Old light bulbs
    Over feeding
    Low Alk

11. chumslickjon

So lets see......
    25% weekly water changes ... didn't work
    less feeding ..... didn't work
    new bulbs .... did't work
    rinse food and anything i put into the tank with ro ..... didn't work
    more flow..... didn't work
    reactor with phosguard... didn't work
    GFO\Chemipure\Carbon.... didn't work
    Fuge with Chaeto and other macros .... didn't work and actually got covered by the cyano.

Did I miss anything, anyone have other suggestions rather than repair the bacterial filter bandaid?
    I have 3 tanks, only one of them have this problem, I'm pretty good at taking care of them so far, and I can tell you that something in this one tank is "off". I don't get accumulations of junk in my other tanks, just this one. Is it because the bacterial filter isn't breaking down the junk and in turn the cyano is triving off the rotting waste? You can run all the filter media and do all the water changes you want, if the junk is not being broken down and disolved into the water, the media is not going to remove it. Could the cyano have outcompeted the good bacteria?

12. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

I agree with chumslickjon. I have always practiced good husbandry with my tanks. Still , I have this issue as well. I think sometimes we forget that nature does not play by any rules and so it cannot be contained and controlled 100% of the time. Sometimes things happen that defy resonable explanations. This particular product is simply another "tool" that we are using to manage and manipulate a synthetic man-made attempt of a saltwater reef.