Thank you DOWTISH - Cyano Help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by chumslickjon, Dec 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I agree with both. Please keep us updated. ;D I used Boyd Chemiclean Red Slime Cyano Bacteria Remover and it took care of my problem for a good 2 -3 months. I didn't want to use it because it is a chemical though. I'm very interested in a natural way of getting rid of cyano! :)

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Update! It's still working for me. I continue to dose about 75ml every other week after doing the recommended dosage on the bottle.

4. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

After reading this, I am giving this a try since I am battling Cyano again. Question, is it recommended to turn off the skimmer for 24 hrs while dosing with this. (I would think so but I want verficiation first).

UNfortuantely for me I have to dose 100ml of this :(

5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I dose the tank at night and turn the skimmer off for about 8-9 hours. The other reason I do this, is that my tank is at the other end of the house from my bedroom. This stuff stinks! but by morning there is no smell. You could also dose right before you leave for work.

1 person likes this.
  6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is good to know. I'm going to give this a try next time I battle cyano.

7. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I have a question for those of you who used this - it says on the bottle to use 25-50% more product in saltwater?

I have a 75g and it recommends 75ml day 1, so should I use ~ 100ml instead?

8. Click Here!

9. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

FYI:

lights out for 4 days has worked for me every single time just another option.....

E

10. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

My thinking is that even dosing double the amount won't hurt, if anything help. You are basically trying to start a colony of bacteria, and as you notice it tells you to slowly add less and less as you go along. So by adding double initially you are just increasing your chances for the bacteria to really start working for you.

1 person likes this.
  11. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

12. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

I just recently had an outbreak of Cyano and read this thread and was very interested. I have done all of the usual stuff and it was gaining ground so I located a bottle of this stuff today at Petco. I opened the bottle and WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, WewEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:eek:
    I have poured in my initial dose. Now my wife is complaining about the smell in the house too. I hope by morning it subsides. I just hope it helps. Will keep you posted.