Texas Holey Rock sold as Live Base Rock at LFS in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by texanjordan, Nov 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Yes your question is answered, but I just want to add..... it is not very porous like reef rock. So as a base for your bio filter, it simply has less surface area. Reef rock is very porous, and that also means that holes are very deep. It will remove nitrates where as Holy rock will not. (Or at least not very well IMO)

I look at holy rock as ornamental, not as the base of a bio filter reef. Also, since it is very dense, it weighs a ton and displaces more water. So you are paying by the pound, and you will have more weight in your tank and less water, and less bio filter area.

I will second getting BRS dry fuji rock over holy rock any day as base rock. You do not have to buy live rock. Dry is fine, but make it reef rock, and get a Holy rock piece or two if you find the shape interesting.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

To be on the safe side, I would bleach all of that rock, then soak it in a mixture of water and baking soda, then rinse and let dry. Also, if you have ever used a copper based medication in that tank, you won't be able to use the rock. Well, you may be able to use it, but you will have to let it sit in the tank for a while, then test for copper. (A big annoyance and time consumption)

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

agreed. unless you've used some chemicals/medicines in the cichlid tank that may leech into the SW and be harmful... just something to keep in mind.

I know this is the common perception around here, but I do not agree with the conclusion it comes to.

For the first 12 months of my tank life, I used tap water. I have no refugium, no macro algaes, no algae, 0 nitrates and phosphates (after the initial 4 months).

All I have is Live Rock that is primarily Texas holey rock and a bit of Fiji and a skimmer (that's HOB to boot).

I won't pretend like I've researched the crap out of this - but I believe the key to this is the denseness of the rock. Pound for pound, I believe Texas holey rock outperforms "regular" rock in anaerobic bacteria. It is still porous throughout the rock - just tighter - and I think this encourages greater amount of the type of bacteria that converts nitrates into nitrogen gas. And I believe that is why I have been able to maintain 0 nitrates for so long so easily with so little. I do not know how to confirm or debunk this though :-/

Volume for volume, because of the "holeyness" of the Texas holey rock, i believe Texas holey rock has more surface exposed to the Oxygen in the tank for aerobic bacteria.

The only reasons I have for thinking this are the conditions of my own tank. So I won't argue them as purely correct. But I would need an ulterior explanation to how I've managed to keep my nitrates away without a well balanced bacteria load.

Otherwise, I believe I am a working example that Texas holey rock is level with, if not superior to, "regular" rock in terms of bacteria.

Aesthetics are completely different subject - I can see that easily being a deal breaker for lots of folks.

6. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Texan you have heard both statements presented by the plaintiff and the defendant. J/K the rock will work for you. just remember there are other options out there. Get what is pleasing to you. One word of advice is to at least look around and then decide what you want. That way your happy when you set up your tank.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ya really it is only an opinion and basically a guess at that. While there could be plent of reasons you are good besides holy rock, I could also be wrong. We are talking microscopic level stuff here. Just seems to me that it would not have the surface are that reef rock does. Who knows. It would be good to get an answer.

8. Click Here!

9. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

The biggest factor driving this whole eqution is COST. I can pick up Texas Holey Rock here in Corpus Christi Texas at a Landscape company for 39 cents PER POUND. This is what is making this very appealing to me to use as base rock in a salt setup. I can pay less than 20.00 for around 55 pounds of Texas Holey Rock, or I can pay 150.00 for base rock on Reefcleaners, or other sites. YOU do the math! I do like the way that it looks, and on top of 100 pounds of live sand, and with about 20 pounds of Live rock sitting next to it, I am thinking that it should be pretty nice.

10. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

For me I think spending the extra money on some nice liverock is important. Pick out nothing but the best looking pieces keeping in mind how they will function in your tank.
    Spend the extra $$$ and youll be happy. For 75% of my rock i paid $8 a pound over the regular fiji rock at $5.

Live rock is something you will never replace. It is an initial investment that should be as serious as the tank and equipment.... if not.... more serious.

which leads me to the texas holey rock. The functionality of holey rock isnt as good as reef rock. not nearly as porous. shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence unless you are comparing apples to bananas scenario like we are.

Peredhil makes a point that he likes the look. It doesnt matter if others dont like it. We didnt pour our own money into his tank to complain about the ugliness of holey rock.

But Peredhil.... you would get much more of an advantage to your system with reef rock compared to texas holey rock.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

i do agree.

hey tatted - not arguing - do you have anything to back this up? I mean, I agree it's more dense, obviously, but I don't see how that means it is worse... from my experience, it out performs.

As far as i can tell (and it's just an observation, I could be wrong) nobody has ever put any science forward to backup the TX rock being not as good.

Seems to me that people realize it's more dense (or read the same opinion from someone else) and automatically jump to the conclusion that it must be inferior... but I have yet to see anything back this claim up.

like i said, the bacteria in my tank has managed to keep my nitrates 0'd out. I use mostly TX holey rock. clearly it works. I don't really see how I could get more of an advantage than 0 nitrates...

I really think folks that take the TX holey rock is not as good side of the fence are basing this on, well, nothing.

I would love to be shown right or wrong though - I really don't know the facts behind this. Only the observations of my own setup.

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

While we may not know the porosity of holy rock on a microscopic level, we darn sure know it is solid in the macro sense. My reef rock is chock full of thousands of hiding places for all my micro fauna. Pods, worms, stars, and various other critters. Fish makes homes in all my rock. Can't say that about Holy rock, except they have nice holes to swim through.

I have 140 pounds of reef rock and every single crevice is home to something.