Tetralia. (smooth acro. crab)

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Swisswiss, Dec 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

ello all,

who has experience with these little guys? just picked up an acro colony and found him moving around in it. its not the first time i come across one of them but i generally give them back to the shop. i would like to try my luck with him this time though.

so yeah by all means share your thoughts and experiences please.

P.s: I'm 300% sure on the ID btw its not a Cymo andreossyi (also have come across these little guys quite often)

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

im guessing the full ID is a tetralia negrolineata (forgive my spelling) I'm guessing the name comes from the black line across its face……. how cool!!!

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have had Tetralia negrolineata in tabling acropora without issue. They look like little bandits.

5. Swisswiss

right? hahaha. hopefully it wont turn into a tasty snack for my toby.

6. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

They are good little guys to have. They will catch little bits of food that float by from time to time, but really require no maintenance.

Love them in my tank.

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I have a few, they are good.

Coral Reefs
    November 2006, Volume 25, Issue 4, pp 609-615
    Symbiotic crabs maintain coral health by clearing sediments
    Hannah L. Stewart, Sally J. Holbrook, Russell J. Schmitt, Andrew J. Brooks

Abstract
    Stony corals are the foundation of coral reef ecosystems and form associations with other reef species. Many of these associations may be ecologically important and play a role in maintaining the health and diversity of reef systems, rendering it critical to understand the influence of symbiotic organisms in mediating responses to perturbation. This study demonstrates the importance of an association with trapeziid crabs in reducing adverse effects of sediments deposited on corals. In a field experiment, mortality rates of two species of branching corals were significantly lowered by the presence of crabs. All outplanted corals with crabs survived whereas 45–80% of corals without crabs died within a month. For surviving corals that lacked crabs, growth was slower and tissue bleaching and sediment load were higher. Laboratory experiments revealed that corals with crabs shed substantially more of the sediments deposited on coral surfaces, but also that crabs were most effective at removing grain sizes that were most damaging to coral tissues. The mechanism underlying this symbiotic relationship has not been recognized previously, and its role in maintaining coral health is likely to become even more critical as reefs worldwide experience increasing sedimentation.

Swisswiss likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

any thoughts of multiple specimens in the same coral colony?